Establish Connectivity to Tableau Server via Remote Data Collector
This article describes how to connect to the Tableau Server in order to use Tableau reports as data sources in Metric Insights. If your Tableau Server is accessible from your Metric Insights server over the network, this is most likely the best solution. General instructions for establishing a Data Source based on a plug-in can be found here. Specific settings for this approach follow.
Prerequisites to creating a connection with Tableau server are described in this article.
If your Tableau Server is accessible over the network from your Metric Insights server, you can connect to Tableau Server directly.
If you are connecting to Tableau Online, then follow the instructions for establishing connectivity to Tableau Online.
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
Start by adding a new Data Source.
2. Select "Other" Data Source Type and choose "Tableau" from the drop-down
- Select Other Data Source Type
- Choose Salesforce from the drop-down list
- Move to the Next step
3. Complete the required parameters
- Data Source name: The system creates a default name, but we recommend changing it to a descriptive name of your choice, especially if you plan to create several connection profiles for different sites
- Tableau Server: Provide the URL to your Tableau server to access it online
- Site ID: Required for Online access
- Enter the regular Username and Password that you use to log in to the Tableau server
- Test connection to view any errors in Required Parameters section
If necessary, open the sections below to enter Optional Parameters and Advanced Configuration.
4. Add/Change the Optional Tableau Parameters
5. Now setup your Remote Data Collector
Click the arrow next to the Advanced Data Source Configuration section to open it:
- Set Use Remote Data Collector to 'yes' to open the Remote Collectors section
- Select [+ New Remote Collector] button
5.1. Select to Add a new Remote Collector from pop-up
5.2. Add Remote Collector pop-up displays
5.3. New Remote Collector now displays in grid
Click to select it
5.4. Remote Collector Editor opens
5.5. Start the Metric Insights Daemon
6. Additional options now available in Plugin Data Source Editor
Using the other tabs, you can:
- You can update, refresh or manually add Reports to the Reports List (depending on fetch method selected)
- You can create new elements using this Data Source directly from the Elements tab
- You can assign Permissions to Groups or Power Users