Create one or multiple Metrics from a Dataset View (Version 5.1)
This article describes the procedure, which is applicable in Version 5.1. For prior Versions reder to: Create a Metric from a Dataset View (Version 4.2 / 5.0.x)
Datasets offer a quick and highly automated way of building new Metrics. This article describes step-by-step process of bulk creating Metrics out of the specific Dataset.
Admins and Power Users have an ability to quickly create one or multiple metrics from a Dataset or some of its Views. It helps to minimize the number of data entry fields that are usually required to create a Metric.
Since Metrics always represent time series data, in order to create a Metric your Dataset View should contain a column of dates and a column of values.
1. Open a Public Dataset View
- Open the Dataset View that will serve as a data source of a future Metric.
- Make sure that the View you've chosen includes a column of dates and a column of values. If your Dataset is snapshoted, Snapshot dates may serve as a date column. Refer to: Snapshot Datasets: Comparing "Last Two Instances" / Track Changes
- At the top right corner of the screen click the Actions menu
- Select the Build Metric option. If this Dataset View is Private, the system will automatically make it accessible to other users (Public) and accessible to other users. If at least one element (Report or Metric) has been built from this View, it can no longer be changed to private.
2. Define the basic settings
Define the regular basic settings for creating a Metric. This is easily done by choosing the right column name from the respective drop-down list. The drop-down list for each field is populated with respect to the Column Type, for example, the Date column drop-down list will only be populated with the options representing date values. Moreover, since the Results set is always available below, you see exactly what you are adding to the Metric.
- Measurement Interval: select the measurement interval that applies to the level of aggregation that you want in your result set.
- Value column: Select the name of a numeric field from the drop-down list
- Date column: This may be either a date column from the dataset or if it is a snapshotted dataset, Snapshot dates may serve as a date column.
- Name: is populated automatically based on the selection you've made in the fields above, but you can change it to a unique and descriptive name of your choice.
Optional. For creating dimensioned Metrics only.
- Dimension using column: Dataset's text columns may serve to dimension the Metric, meaning create a separate Chart per each Dimension Value. With a column used in thios example (Country), separate Charts are going to be created per France, Australia, Germany, etc. This allows applying different sets of Alert rules to each Chart and setting specific security permissions to different Users.
- Map to Dimension in Metric Insights: if you already have a dimension with values matching to those in the Dataset column selected in the field above, you can choose it from the drop-down list. Otherwise, you can create one on the fly by clicking: "None - create new Dimension".
Click Add Metric to save these settings and preview the resulting Metric.
Such settings as Data Source (where the data is taken from), Data Collection Trigger (how often this Metric should be updated), Category, etc. are going to be inherited from the Dataset.
Preview the resulting Metric
If only one Metric should be built, click Build Metric and let the system finish the procedure.
3. To build more Metrics
- Each time you click Add Metric, a new one is added to the # Metrics defined section in the middle of the screen.
These Metrics are just prepared, they are not built yet.
- You can then keep changing the settings in the Add Metric section to build another element.
- You can preview any of the prepared Metrics in one click - the name of the Metric which is currently shown in the Preview is bold.
- Once you are ready to publish all of them, click Build All Metrics.
The Metrics that have been built are going to be available on the Homepage.