Setting up Alert Notifications (Version 5.0 and beyond)
This process walks you through the basic setup:
- for Immediate Alerts
- for Alert digests
- for creating new Alerts via the Alert Editor
To learn how to set up an Alert directly from the Metric Viewer, refer to: Basics for the Alert Wizards - KPI Rules
For more general information on notifications in Metric Insights, refer to: My Notifications - Overview
1. Use Case
When creating a new Alert Rule or subscribing to an already created one, a user is supposed to choose the method of distribution and notification frequency in case this Alert fires. This Alert can be sent:
- In an email digest
- In the browser only: indicated by the Alert icon on the tile of a respective element on the Homepage.
NOTE: When choosing either email digest or immediate sending, you need to make sure that the system 'knows' where and when such notifications should be sent to you.
To set up email digests or immediate Alerts, go to My Preferences menu (at the upper right corner of the screen below your username) > My Notifications.
1.1. Alert Digest
This option allows you to receive a complete Alert Digest displaying ALL Alerts generated since your last Digest. To set up Digest distribution:
- In the Alert Digest row click the Gear icon. The Alert Digest pop-up opens.
- Specify the email this digest should be sent to.
- Define the schedule for sending out the digest. You have the option receive them on any public schedule or you create your own private schedule. For more details, refer to: Creating a new schedule from Notifications screens
Save your entries. Now, all your existing and future Alert subscriptions (chosen to be sent as an Email Digest) are going to be sent to the specified email and upon the selected Schedule.
1.2. Immediate Alerts
Immediate Alerts allow you to request receiving each Alert as they are generated. This way, you can keep up with the data changes without without any need to open the system. To set up immediate Alert distribution:
- In the Immediate Alerts row click the Gear icon. The Immediate Alerts pop-up opens.
- Specify your email for Immediate Alerts
- You may request that all Immediate Alerts ALSO be sent via an alternate method, such as a Email Digest, Phone Alert (if you paired your Web Version with Mobile application) or SMS to provide a backup. See Sending alerts via SMS or MMS for further details on receiving your Alerts via text rather than email.
2. Creating new Alerts from the Alert Editor
- To create a new Alert, go to the Alerts tab
- The Elements grid will display those elements for which you have selected to receive Alerts. You can modify them by clicking a Gear icon in the respective row.
- You can also add new Metric alerts by clicking [+ New subscription].
2.1. Adding new Alerts via Subscription grid
Two options are provided for creating a KPI Alert:
- New Metric: You first need to go through a procedure of creating a Metric. Once your Metric is built, Enable & Publish it and you will then be guided to create the KPI Alert Rule.
- Existing Metric: Opens a drop-down list of existing Metrics. Choose a Metric and click Next Step to move on to creating an Alert. For more details refer to: Basics for the Alert Wizards - KPI Rules
NOTE: Only Admin and Power Users may select the New Metric option.
2.2. The Alert Wizard
This Wizard will allow Admin and Power Users to create Alert Rules for monitoring data changes. For more details on Wizard steps, refer to: Basics for the Alert Wizards - KPI Rules