Apply a Workflow to a KPI Alert Rule
Business trends may be unpredictable - but you should be ready both for good and bad news, and, ideally, be informed about any outcome as quickly as possible - in the majority of cases timig is everyhting. To automate data analysis, a set KPI Alerts with preferred delivery methods can be applied to a Metric. For more details refer to:
But simply knowing that your data has certain anomalies is definitely not enough: What caused this data anomaly? If there is an issue of any kind, who is going to fix it?
In addition to applying a KPI Alert Rule to a Metric, a set of advanced options can be added to this KPI Alert Rule. These settings include:
- Alert Status (open or closed): is this data anomaly is still an issue or just an insignificant historical episode?
- Roles for those users who should take care of it.
- Priority: does this data anomaly represent critical changes or this is nothing urgent and dramatic?
Applying a Workflow to an Alert Rules allows to track actions that have been taken in case this Alert fired. Alert Workflows can be added to those Alert Rules you have created in past - they will seamlessly integrate with your usual procedures. This article describes how to add Workflows to those Alert Rules that you have already been using and to the new ones.
Create an Alert Workflow
- Admin Users: can create KPI Alerts with a Workflow, assign / reassign / edit Workflows for ANY existing KPI Alerts.
- Power Users: can create KPI Alerts with a Workflow, assign / reassign Workflows to those KPI Alerts that they have created.
- Regular User: no access to KPI Alert Editor.
To a previously created KPI Alert
Despite the fact that Managed Alerting is a newly introduced functionality, Alert Workflows can be applied to those Alerts you have created earlier in previous Versions of Metric Insights.
1. Make sure the Metric is assigned a KPI Alert Rule
- At the upper right corner if the screen click the Alert icon. The pop-up displaying any Alert rules assined for this Metric are going to be shown.
- If no Alert Rules are assigned to this Metric, you can create one by clicking [+ New Rule]. In this case folow the procedure described at the section below:
2. Open Metric Editor > Alerting tab
- To open the Metric Editor, in the upper right corner click the Gear icon.
- Move to the Alerting tab.
- Access the Alert Rules associated with this Metric section.
- Power Users Note. If you are a KPI Alert Rule creator, it is going to be colored in blue and its name is going to be cliclable, otherwise, you have no permission to edit it. If you click it, you are going to be redirected to the KPI Alert Editor.
3. Go to the Alert Editor > Subscriptions & Alert Workflows tab
- In the KPI Alert Editor go to the Subscriptions & Alert Workflows tab.
- At the top of the tab click Assign new Alert Workflow.
- In an opened pop-up choose one of the Workflows from the drop-down list.
While creating a new KPI Alert
Starting from Version 5.1 Metric Insights offers more ways to control what happens to your data after some Alert fires. You can start applying Workflows to all the new KPI Alerts you create.
1. Access Metric Viewer > at the upper right corner if the screen click the Alert icon
1.1. Create a new Alert Rule
At the opened pop-up click [+ New Rule].
1.2. Notification Settings
- Once you define the Alert Criteria and Content, your final step (4 - Notification) implies setting up distribution method, frequency and, beginning from Version 5.1, whether any Alert Workflow should be applied to it.
- Choose one of the previously defined Alert Workflows from the drop-down list.
- Admin User option. You can add a new Alert Workflow on the fly by clicking the Plus button. A "New Workflow" with default system settings is going to be applied to an Alert. You can further edit it in the Alert Workflow Editor.