Establish Connectivity to Qlik Sense
This article describes the process of creating plugin Data Source to connect to Qlik Sense. This Data Source will allow data from existing Qlik Sense objects to be used in building elements using Metric Insights tools.
- Enable the following ports: 80 (HTTP), 443 (HTTPS), 4243 (REST API)
- For other step-by-step instructions, see Prerequisites to connecting to Qlik Sense server
The following article covers:
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the screen click [+New Data Source].
2. "Select the Type of New Data Source" pop-up opens
- Select "Other" and choose "Qlik Sense" from the drop-down list
- Next step
3. Provide Required Qlik Sense Parameters
- Data Source Name will default but may be modified
- Input Click through server (this is the same URL that you see when accessing Qlik Sense via your web browser)
- Enter the host name of the Qlik Sense server
- Enter Username and Plugin Password
4. Secure Connection Proxies (on Qlik Sense server)
If your Qlik Sense uses a secure connection, provide a certificate by going to your Qlik Sense server and logging onto the QMC (http://your-qliksense-server/qmc/virtualproxies).
Secure Connection Virtual Proxy
To provide additional websites with access to Qlik Sense server, list them in the Host white list at Virtual Proxy > Profile > Properties > Advanced tab.
Increase session timeout for the Proxy site
Navigate to your Proxy on the QMC.
Increase the session timeout
Increase the Session inactivity timeout (minutes). This will allow Metric Insights to complete more job requests (e.g., getting data from a report) without Qlik Sense prematurely ending the session.
5. Optional Qlik Sense Parameters
To narrow the list of Qlik Sense External Reports fetched with your plugin, you can specify:
- Sheet filter: the title(s) of your Qlik Sense Sheet(s)
- Application filter: Application(s) you have created in Qlik Sense
- Object filter: name(s) of Object(s) you need to bring from Qlik Sense
- User domain: the domain group for your Username
You can provide several values for the following filter variables: Sheet, Application, Object. To do so, separate their values with a comma.
You can also configure the behavior of Qlik Sense plugin by using other parameters listed in qliksense.conf.
6. Advanced Configuration
- Set Use Remote Data Collector to yes in order to bridge the link between MI and the Qlik Sense server. Then select the Remote Data Collector created when following the Prerequisites to connecting to Qlik Sense server article.
Generate Object List: This setting influences options available in the Qlik Sense Objects tab:
- automatically: click Refresh list and all Reports are going to be fetched by the system
- manually: Reports may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Object List Refresh Trigger: from the dropdown, select the Trigger that will be used to fetch data via the Qlik Sense plugin
- Object Selection Method: specify how Qlik Sense Objects will be fetched
- Optionally, specify the maximum number of concurrent Threads to utilize during data and/or image fetch to be used in background processing when the system updates Metrics and Reports for this Data Source
- If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded
- Multiple dimension values delimiter: optionally, specify the Delimiter for Multiple Dimension Values (Configuring this parameter allows to support fetching aggregate data for several Qlik Sense Filter Values)
- Test Connection (this will also Save your data)
7. Other settings
- You can create Datasets or Elements directly from the respective tabs
- Click Permissions to assign permissions to Groups or Power Users