Create a Dimensioned External Report for Power BI
This article demonstrates how to create a Dimensioned External Report using Microsoft Power BI.
- You must have already established connectivity to Microsoft Power BI via the respective plugin connection profile.
1. Access New > External Report > Microsoft Power BI
If necessary, you can create a new Report Type, Dimension, Category, or Report Image Trigger on the go by clicking the [+] icon next to the corresponding field.
Define the basics:
- Name: provide a meaningful name
- Report Type: determines general settings (image source, download option, drill-down authentication, etc.)
Dimensioned by: specify the Dimension for your External Report
- To learn more about Dimensions, refer to Understanding Dimensions
- Category: place your Report in a relevant Category
- Report Source: define whether you want your External Report to be updated manually or automatically
- Report Image Trigger: choose the Data Collection Trigger that will control how often your External Report will be updated within Metric Insights
Plugin Connection Profile: select the Connection Profile you have created for Microsoft Power BI
- See Establish Connectivity to Microsoft Power BI if you have not created a profile yet
- Report: Select the Power BI Report from which the image will be collected
- Click Next: define details to proceed with External Report creation
2. External Report Configuration
Show Report in: change from default "External Webpage" if you want your Report to be displayed in Viewer
- You can choose between the iframe and static image options
- If you select iframe, you can specify the Viewer Image Size
- Optionally, disable the display of Collaboration and Footer in Viewer
- Apply filters to your Report data by clicking [+Microsoft PowerBI Filter]
- The External Report URL will be generated automatically based on your other inputs
- You can modify the URL by appending a question mark (?) followed by any filter or parameter settings
- Test External Report: you can optionally test how your Report will be displayed on External Webpage or in Viewer, depending on the display option selected in #1
- Always collect all instances of external report: Collect all images and cache them on a schedule
- On Demand: only when needed for distribution: Individual images are only collected when they need to be included in an email
- If you choose to show your Report in Viewer as a Static Image, you can optionally Setup image size by clicking the corresponding button.
- If image size is not specified, it will default to 1200 x 800
- NOTE: if you opt to display your Report as a Static Image, make sure you Collect Image before going to Viewer
- Enable and Publish: this will also save your entries
3. Verify display in Viewer
If your Report has been segmented by a Dimension with Multiple Values, you will be able to fetch and view data for Multiple Dimension Values.
- To learn more, refer to Dimensions with Multiple Values
- Multiple Values Delimiter must be specified in the Microsoft Power BI connection profile beforehand
- For details, refer to Establish Connectivity to Microsoft Power BI (See step #6 for Section 4: "Advanced Configuration")
- Select the View for Single or Multiple Dimension Values