Create a New Plugin Data Source
Data that is not fetched using a JDBC driver is collected using a Plugin. Plugins are special components, built by Metric Insights, that send a native fetch command to a data source. It then formats the results in a way that allows Metric Insights to consume the data. A list of supported Plug-ins can be found here. It is also possible to access data from a custom Web Service by using a Web Service Plugin.
This article describes the general process for creating a Plugin data source.
Information about how to create a new SQL data source is available here.
For a description of Metric Insights overall approach to Data Sources, click here.
Video Tutorial [Tableau Example]
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the page click [+New Data Source].
2. Choose type
- Click Other and select a required data service from the drop-down list of configured Plugins. If you do not find the one you need, contact your system Administrator or email@example.com.
- Click Next step
3. Complete required and optional settings
- Define required plug-in parameters: name and credentials you use to connect to a given data source.
- When the supported plugin is configured, the required Plugin Connection Profile Parameters are defined and are defaulted into the Parameters grid once you select the plugin setting
- Any of these parameters may be edited
- If you select 'yes' to Use Remote Data Collector?, you will be required to select a collector or create a new one at the bottom of the page. For more information, reference Define a Remote Data Collector
3.1. Editing Optional Parameters
- Use the Edit (Gear) icon to enter/modify the parameter
- Change the parameter to be passed to the Data Source
Repeat this process as necessary to update any/all parameters.
Save again before leaving the Editor so that your Data Source will be ready for use for defining an Element (Report / Metric / Multi-metric / Dataset).