Configure a Remote Data Collector
In order to safely connect a Metric Insights instance that is hosted on the cloud to data sources that live behind your firewall, you will need to download Insightd, a thin, remote data collection framework that can be used to run queries on behalf of Metric Insights.
Insightd will run on a machine behind your firewall and will periodically poll Metric Insights for the queries it needs to run. Once these queries are assigned and completed, the results are then securely posted back to the Metric Insights server to get turned into your visualizations.
If you encounter any problems you can troubleshoot your remote data collector setup.
1. Select 'Remote Data Collectors' from Admin menu
2. Add a new remote data collector
- Give your new remote data collector a name
- Enter the hostname of your remote data source
3. Click the name of the new remote data collector to edit it
3.1. Add a SQL database or Plug-in data source to the remote data collector
Note: A single Remote Data Collector can connect to multiple data sources if they are all accessible through the same remote host.
3.2. Select your choice from the associated drop-down
Note: We will connect to Business Objects for demonstration purposes.
4. Finally, download the Insightd installer on to the machine your server
The insightd installer must be run on a server behind your firewall. Metric Insights allows you to download a pre-configured package of Insightd to install on your machine.