How to collect data from Google Calendar
An Event Calendar can be populated automatically based on entries sourced from a Google Calendar. With this capability a user can maintain a set of planned events in a Google Calendar; for example, promotions or seasonal sales and have them automatically appear in Metric Insights.
This article is based on the assumption that you have already established connectivity with Google via Google Calendar Plugin that should serve as your Event Source.
For more information on Event Calendars and how they are applied to Metrics, refer to the following articles:
1. Access Admin > Event Calendars
At the bottom of the page click [+ New Event Calendar].
2. Input Calendar Specifications
- Input a descriptive Name
- Applied to list of: you can assign this Event Calendar either to individual Metrics by adding them to the event calendar one by one, assign it to Metrics of a specific Measure (for example, Sales, Profit, etc.), or to the Metrics belonging to specific Topics or Categories.
- Event Source: Select your Google Calendar plugin Data Source
- Choose the Calendar that includes the needed Events
- Save your entries. You are to be redirected the the full Event Editor.
3. Configure the Data Collection
- Set the Data Collection Trigger to automatically update the list of events in this Event Calendar
- Input Plugin command manually or using the Visual Editor
3.1. Example using the Visual Editor
Query Builder allows constructing commands without the need to learn the plugin syntax and avoiding typos/mistakes.
- Select Fields
- Optionally, choose Start and End times
- Optionally, select Filter
- Optionally, set Group By only if Count(*) is one of your selected fields
Save your settings. Plugin command validating will start automatically.
4. Plugin command will be validated and Data Collected on Save from Visual Editor
If entering plug-in command manually,
- Validate plug-in command button. If your statement is valid, the statement box is green; if there are any errors, the box is colored in red and errors will be explained in the field below.
- Collect Data
Save. Once saved, the Event Calendar is ready to be used and associated with one or more metrics.