How to collect data from IBM Cognos
A Metric Insights' Dataset can be populated automatically based on data fetched from IBM Cognos.
You must have already established connectivity to your Cognos server via the respective plugin connection profile.
This article describes how to create a Dataset from the Plugin Data Sources Editor.
1. Plugin Data Sources Editor > Datasets tab
- Access Plugin Data Sources Editor > Datasets tab
- Click [New Dataset]
You will be redirected to the Dataset Editor.
2. Dataset Editor > Info tab
- Measured: select the measurement interval that applies to the level of aggregation that you want in your result set.
- Collecting: new Datasets are always disabled by default to make sure that you can take time to configure them properly before enabling. This setting is duplicated at the top of the screen.
- Name: provide a unique name for your Dataset. Preferably, the Dataset name should explain what kind of data it contains.
- Description: optionally, provide any additional information about your Dataset.
- Category: specify the Category where you Dataset will be placed.
Move to the Data tab to define the source of data and how often it should be updated.
3. Define the Settings for Data Collection
- Data Source: select the connection profile you have created for IBM Cognos
- Data collection trigger: specify the Trigger that will be used to collect data for your Dataset
- Report: select an external IBM Cognos Report that should serve as a basis of your Dataset
- Input a Plugin Command listing all the data you would like to fetch from IBM Cognos
- Build your query in MIQL syntax
- Alternatively, use the Visual Editor
- Once you are ready with you command, click Validate
3.1. Example using the Visual Editor
The IBM Cognos Query Builder allows constructing commands without the need to learn the plugin syntax and avoiding typos/mistakes.
- Select the fields for your Dataset
- Optionally, add Derived fields and/or Count of duplicate rows
Save your settings. Plugin command validation will start automatically.
4. Plugin command will be validated and data collected on Save
- If the command is validated successfully, the Dataset columns and Data Preview are going to be shown below.
- At the upper right corner of the screen click Enable & publish.