Pre-filtering Qlik Sense data (Version 5.0.4)
When sourcing data for Metrics, Reports, External Reports, Dimensions and Datasets from the Qlik Sense objects, you can pre-filter data before collecting it top Metric Insights. This functionality allows focusing on the exact slice of data that is required for analysis and exclude the data that is irrelevant for you and your research.
Most of the data displayed on the Qlik Sense Objects can be filtered by the offered criteria.
On the example below, the "Gross Profit by Channel" chart has been refined by values in 3 filters:
- Country: to Australia, Canada and Germany only
- Product Category: to wine
- Channel: to website visit only
If there is no need to fetch data for other filter values (other countries or channels), you can pre-filter Qlik Sense data before collecting it to Metric Insights.
1. Define a Source element (Object) for Data Collection in Metric Insights
Start off by creating an element. Once you get to the process of Data Collection, define the following:
- Data Source: This is an entity that connects Qlik Sense and Metric Insights. For more information, see: Establish Connectivity to Qlik Sense
- Object: Click Select Object to open the pop-up with the list of available Reports.
- Items in the Object list have 3 level hierarchy (representing the path to a respective object in Qlik Sense). In our example the Chart we need is located at: Daily Sales application > Sales Analys sheet > Gross Profit by Channel is a name of a Chart itself.
- If you do not see the required item, try refreshing the list by clicking the Refresh icon at the upper right corner of the pop-up.
- Alternatively, rather than choosing an Object from the list in the pop-up, you can manually add the Object reference as follows:
[Application name]&object=[Sheet name]&object=[Object name]
2. Adding Qlik Sense Filters to Metric Insights
When creating a Metric / Report / External Report fetched from Qlik Sense, after you define the Object that should serve as a Data Source, you may pre-filter information that is going to be fetched.
To do that, click [+ Qliksense Filter]. Next, you can choose whether you are going to define filters manually or via the existing Dimension Values. For instructions on creating a Dimension sourced from QlikView see:
NOTE: Examples given below are taken from the Qlik Sense Object shown at the top of the page.
2.1. Enter Manually
- Qliksense Filter Name: Define the name of the filter from Qlik Sense
- Filter Values: choose 'Enter Manually'
- Click [+ Add Value] and in the opened pop-up manually type in the name of the filter, for example, "wine". Be careful and make sure there are no typos or mistakes, otherwise the system will not be able to map this filter with Qlik Sense data. Save your entry. All added values should appear in the Values list.
- Save your entries.
2.2. Using Dimension Values
If you have already used Qliksense filters to create Dimensions in Metric Insights, you can quickly choose which Dimension Values you want to use for pre-filtering:
- Qliksense Filter Name: Define the name of the filter from QlikView.
- Filter Values: choose 'Map to Dimension Values'.
- Dimension: select a corresponding Dimension from the drop-down list and all its Dimension Values are going to be loaded to the Values list automatically. For more details refer to: Create a Dimension with values fetched from Qlik Sense
- Save your entries.
3. How do I add filters to a results set from Qlik Sense?
- Click the Pencil icon in the filter row to set it up.
- When the filter is added, you can use it for "All Values", "Only Selected Values" or ignore it.
4. Deleting Filters
To delete some of the added filters: (1) click the Filter icon in the Object field and (2) choose the unnecessary filters. Click the Trashbin icon in the respective row.
NOTE: Once filters are added to Metric / Report or External Report for the first time, they are going to be automatically added to all new respective elements with the same Data Source / Object.