Pre-filtering MicroStrategy data
When sourcing data for Metrics, Reports, External Reports, Dimensions and Datasets from MicroStrategy, you can pre-filter data before fetching it. This function allows focusing on the slice of data that you really need and exclude those values that are currently irrelevant for you and your research.
How to find Filter names in MicroStrategy?
Data displayed in MicroStrategy Viewers can be filtered by different criteria. Filters in MicroStrategy are built from Attributes. On the example above, they are displayed as Report Objects on the right of the Report Viewer.
To find Filter names in MicroStrategy you can:
- Check available Attributes
- Use View Filter grid > [+Add Condition] to open a list of available Filter values
To view all Filters and Filter values at once, set PAGE-BY option to display Total (ALL values)
1. Define a Source element (Object) for Data Collection
Start off by creating an element. Once you get to the process of Data Collection, define the following:
- Data Source: This is an entity that connects MicroStrategy and Metric Insights. For more information, see: Establish Connectivity to MicroStrategy
- Data Collection Trigger: select the trigger that is going to initiate updating information in this Metric
- Report: Click Select Report to open the pop-up with the list of available MicroStrategy objects that can work as a source of data.
- Each item in the list is represented as the path (hierarchy) to the respective Report in MicroStrategy. Find the object in the list.
- If you do not see the required item, try refreshing the list by clicking the Refresh icon at the upper right corner of the pop-up.
2. Adding MicroStrategy Filters to Metric Insights
When creating a Metric/Report/External Report/Dataset generated from MicroStrategy Objects, you need to:
- Define the element that should serve as a source of data
- Pre-filter information that is going to be fetched
- To pre-filter data, click [+Microstrategy Filter]
- Choose how you are going to define filters - manually or via existing Dimension Values
For instructions on creating a Dimension sourced from MicroStrategy see:
NOTE: Examples given below are taken from the MicroStrategy Report shown at the top of the page.
2.1 Enter manually
- MicroStrategy Filter Name: Define the name of the filter from MicroStrategy (The name of the Filter should exactly match the column names of the MicroStrategy Report. Filter names are case sensitive. Unless the match is exact, the Filter will not work)
- Filter Values: choose 'Enter Manually' and click Save at the bottom of the pop-up.
- Click [+ Add Value] and in the opened pop-up manually type in the name of the filter value. Save your entry. All added values should appear in the Values list.
- Save your entries.
2.2 Using dimension values
If you have already used MicroStrategy filters to create Dimensions in Metric Insights, you can quickly choose which Dimension Values you want to use for pre-filtering:
- MicroStrategy Filter Name: Define the name of the filter from MicroStrategy
- Filter Values: choose 'Map to Dimension Values'
- Dimension: select a corresponding Dimension from the drop-down list and all its Dimension Values are going to be loaded to the Values list automatically. For more details refer to: Create a Dimension with values fetched from Sisense
- Save your entry
3. How do I add filters to a results set from MicroStrategy?
- Click the Pencil icon in the filter row to set it up.
- When the filter is added, you can use it for "All Values", "Only Selected Values" or ignore it.
4. Deleting Filters
To delete some of the added filters: (1) click the Filter icon in the Report field and (2) choose the unnecessary filters. Click the Trashbin icon in the corresponding row.
Once filters are added to Metric / Report or External Report for the first time, they are going to be automatically added to all new respective elements of the same Data Source.