Grant Power Users Element Edit Access via Element Ownership
Each element must have a Business and Technical Owner. In the system, there a few functions that identify the owner of an element, including Element list filter, User Editor > Elements tab, and selection of elements to include in a Collaborative Digest.
Making either a Regular or a Power User the Business Owner of any Element provides NO View Access to the element or any other Permissions.
The following rules apply
- Regular User cannot be a Technical Owner
- In Versions 4.2 and beyond, a Power User designated as the Technical Owner receives Edit Access to the element including Use Access to the element's Configurable Data Source; i.e., the Element's tile has an Edit icon on the Power User's Homepage ONLY IF the Power User also:
- Has Edit Access to the element's Category (Release 5.3 and beyond)
- Inherits or is directly granted Dimension access as well as at least one Dimension Value permission
- Has been granted the associated Create Content Privilege for associated non-configuration sources and Permission to View any Source element(s)
- Has been granted View Access to the source Dataset If the element is created from a Dataset (new in Version 5.0)
NOTE: Prior to 4.2, A Power User designated as the Technical Owner received full Edit Access to the element;
- A Power User that creates an element automatically becomes the Technical Owner and may not change this setting since the field is hidden from the Power User
- If an Admin changes the Technical Owner setting of an element created by a Power User, a warning message is received that the Power User will no longer have View or Edit Access to the element
- The Power User may assign any User to become the Business Owner of an element that he/she creates
1. Access the Element Editor's Ownership settings
- Open the Advanced tab
- Review ownership settings for Business Owner and Technical Owner
NOTE: When a NEW element is created:
Business Owner: Defaults to the element's Creator.
- The Creator can choose another Business Owner from all users contained in the drop-down list.
- Technical Owner: Defaults to the Administrator or Power User who created the element (If a Power User is the creator, the field is hidden and cannot be updated by the PU). An Administrator can choose another Technical Owner from the drop-down list.
2. Technical Owner Edit Access
- Assign a Power User to be the Technical Owner of a Dimensioned Element with a configurable Data Source
- Click Save and Preview
- A Warning message appears granting the Power User immediate Edit Access to the element as well as:
- Access to the Dimension and all of its Dimension Values for this element only
- Permission to use the element's Data Source as a fetch method for other elements, Events, and Dimensions.
- Clicking OK grants element Edit Access to the Power User designated as the element's Technical Owner and also grants Use Access to the element's Configurable Data Source.