Collecting Data on Report Request
If the Report has multiple Dimension Values, you can choose one of the following scenarious for updating its instances:
- Retrieve information for all Dimension Values either at regular intervals or by setting data dependencies via Data Collection Triggers. Refer to: Create a Data Collection Trigger (Scheduled / Externally Triggered)
- Alternalively, new fresh data for a Dimensioned Report can be collected on demand (only when the Report is opened in the Viewer or sent in a Digest, etc.). Current article describes this method.
NOTE: This method is unavailable for Reports sourced from CSV and Excel and Snapshot Reports (How to create a Snapshot Report).
Report Editor > Data tab
If you create a dimensioned Report from scratch, you can follow the general instructions in this article: Create a Dimensioned Report.
The key Data Collection settings you should pay attenyion to are in the Report Editor > Data tab:
Data Source: This approach is available for Dimensioned Reports sourced from:
- SQL Data Source
- Plug-in Data Sources
- Datasets without User Maps applied to them
- Collect data: choose 'on Report Request'.
- Expire on start of: choose a Data Collection Trigger from the drop-down list. Cached reports should be expired at the start of the associated data Collection Trigger to avoid a cached version generated before the most recent data collection event from being displayed / sent.
The mothod descibed below is only used for Compound Dimensions, i. e. those, which combimne information from Primary and Secondary dimensions. Refer to: Understanding Compound Dimensions
Setting up single fetch for Reports with Compound Dimension
Another great way to set up targeted Data collection is to set up single fetch for Reports with Compound dimensions.
In order to do that, a single fetch condition is added to the Statement as follows:
<single-fetch> where primary_dimension_name=:variable AND secondary_dimension_name=:variable </single-fetch>
This condition is used to collect data for one specific instance (with data for a specific combination of primary and secondary dimension values).
When another combination of primary and secondary dimension values is created, the system generates a new instance on the fly.
Combining on demand Report collection with single fetch settings creates perfect environment for enhancing system capacity.
Instead of "collecting everything all the time", only the required data is fetched just when it is needed.