Collect Values Manually for a Child Dimension
If you have a situation where your Dimension is part of a parent hierarchy; for example, Products that are part of a Product Groups, you can use Metric Insights' parent/child Dimension capabilities to form this relationship. Any Dimension that has a Parent is considered a Child Dimension.
- An existing Parent Dimension that contains Dimension Values.
- This example also assumes that a Child Dimension has already been created. See Create a Child Dimension with Automatically Collected Values and Understanding Parent/Child Dimensions for more information.
EXAMPLE: In the sample below, "Product Category" is the Parent Dimension and "wine-dimension" is the Child Dimension. "Product Category" already has several Dimension Values created.
NOTE: If you grant a User access to a Dimension that has children, grandchildren or other generations, the user receives cascading access to all of the Dimension's descendants in the Family tree.
1. Access Content > Dimensions > select a Child Dimension from the list
At the bottom of the page click [+ New Dimension Value].
2. Enter Dimension Value
For each new Dimension Value, enter:
- Select a Parent Dimension Value from the drop-down list
- Enter the Key Value
- Provide a Display Value that corresponds to its Key Value
- Select whether the system should generate a Tile for this Dimension Value automatically; If 'no' is chosen, the only way to obtain a tile is to make this Dimension Value's chart a Favorite
Save your changes.
3. Dimension Value is added to Dimension Values grid
4. To add using a CSV file, you must add at least one dimension manually for' Load from File' button to appear
- Select Load from file button to access the Load popup
- Confirm that the Delimiter character is the same as in your CSV file
- Select the CSV file containing your data from your local machine
4.1. Review load results
- Click OK to return to Dimension Editor