Create a Dimension with values sourced from a Dataset (Versions prior to 5.0.5)
This article outlines the process used to create a Dimension with Dimension Values populated automatically from a Dataset.
For newer Versions, please refer to: Create a Dimension with values sourced from a Dataset View (Version 5.0.5)
In the Dataset View, choose the column containing Dimension Values
Open the Dataset to be used as a source for a new Dimension and find a column that contains the values to be fetched as Dimension Values. Remember the name of this column, since it is required to be specified creating the new Dimension.
1. Access Content > Dimension
The list of Dimensions previously created in the system opens.
At the bottom of the page click [+ New Dimension].
2. Provide key information for fetching Dimension Values
Provide the basic Dimension definition information, paying close attention to:
- Name: enter unique and descriptive phrase(s)
- Value Source: select "Datasets" from the drop-down list
Dataset & View: Choose the name of the Dataset or its particular View to be used as a Data Source for this Dimension.
- To quickly preview Dataset's columns, click the Eye icon to the right of this field
Key Value Column: Select the Dataset column that contains the required values
- Specify column content type (numeric or text) in the round brackets next to the column name
- Display Value Column: Choose the Dataset column with Display Values (often the same as above)
Save entered data to create Dimension and open the Dimension Editor
3. Collect Values
- After specifying the Dataset & View, Key Value Column, Display Value Column fields, click Check Data
- The system displays Sample dimension values below
- If the sample Dimension Values shown are as expected, click Collect values