Create a Metric from a Dataset View (prior to 5.1 release)
Datasets offer a quick and highly automated way of building new Metrics. This article describes step-by-step process of creating a Metric out of the specific Dataset View.
Since Metrics always represent time series data, in order to create a Metric your Dataset View must contain a column with dates and a column containing values.
Newer releases have a simplified method of creating metrics from a Dataset. See Create one or multiple Metrics from a Dataset View (Version 5.1x)
1. Open a Public Dataset View
- Open the Dataset View that is to be the data source of the Metric.
- Make sure that your View includes a columns with dates and values
- At the top right corner of the screen, open the Actions menu
- Select the Build Metric option.
- If this Dataset View is Private, the system will offer to automatically make it Public and accessible to other users
- If at least one element (Report or Metric) has been built from this View, it can no longer be designated as private
You are redirected to the Metric Editor.
2. [Info tab] Define the basics
- Name: is populated automatically with the name of the Dataset View. You can change it to a unique and descriptive name of your choice.
- Category: helps organizing tiles at the Homepage. You can grant access to elements through Categories.or more details refer to: Create a Category
- Certified: this setting serves to identify elements that have been approved as being valid and accurate. For more details refer to: Certifying an Element
- Topics/Tags: relate elements to each other. For more details refer to: Create a Topic
3. [Data tab] Check Data Collection Configuration
All the fields that define the Data Collection process are populated automatically based on the selection made in Dataset View.
- Data Source: in this example a Dataset is the selected Data Source
- Data Collection Trigger: Set the Trigger to initiate updating information in the Metric
- Dataset & View: Select the combination of a Dataset and its View from the drop-down list
- Date / Value column: make sure that date and value columns display the expected data
- Include: specify whether you want to fetch all data, or rows after a certain date
3.1. Check for available data
- Click Check for data to see what records are available for collecting
- The number of available records and an example of a first one is displayed in the results shown below
- Click Collect data to fetch rows for the Metric.
Enable and Publish the Metric.