Install or Update MI via Installation Packages
This article provides a step-by-step instruction on how to install Metric Insights on your virtual machine and describes the ways available to update the system to a newer version.
1. Connect to the server by ssh
- Use ssh firstname.lastname@example.org and replace the zeros with the server IP address
- When prompted, enter the root password provided by your IT specialist
2. Download MI installation package
- Depending on the system version your organization plans to install, Metric Insights team will provide you with a link to a corresponding installation package version
- Along with a link, Username and Password should be provided by the MI support team.; enter credentials into corresponding fields
- Check the box to confirm your agreement with terms and conditions of Metric Insights usage
- Click Submit
The download process of the .zip archive containing all files required to install the system will begin.
3. Operating Systems Supported
3.1. Additional Actions for Operating Systems
Different operating systems require specific additional steps to be performed before and after installation process. Refer to the table below to learn additional commands that should be run for successful package installation.
If you are using a firewall on the linux machine, inbound TCP ports 443 and 8443 are necessary for Metric Insights to work correctly. To open them use the following commands:
Examples for iptables:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 443 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8443 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 8443 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
Examples for ufw:
ufw allow 80/tcp ufw allow 443/tcp ufw allow 8443/tcp
Examples for firewall-cmd:
firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=80/tcp --permanent firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=443/tcp --permanent firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=8443/tcp --permanent firewall-cmd --reload
4. Unpack the downloaded zip archive using the following command
tar -xvf MetricInsights-Installer-<version_number>.tar.gz
5. Enter the new unpacked folder
6. Initiate installation process
NOTE: This command can only be used by a root user.
7. MI Update via packages
NOTE: This method only works if MI has been initially installed via the installation package (as described above).
The following step depends on whether your virtual machine is open to the web.
7.1. If VM (virtual machine) is closed off the web
If according to the company's security policy or due to any other reasons the Virtual Machine is closed off the web, the previous command is not applicable. In this case a link to a package containing all the files necessary to update the system is provided by Metric Insights team.
NOTE: Internal mirrors should be set up to provide access to required repositories:
- basic CentOS repositories (base, extras, updates - mirror.centos.org)
- epel repository - download.fedoraproject.org
7.2. If VM has open access to web
If the VM has open access to web, all required code and additional files are pulled directly from the corresponding repositories upon issuing the following command:
This command is augmented via the following parameters:
7.3. Example of a command
mi-update -v --channel release --development no -T lite 4.x.x