Slack App Installation Guide
This article provides a step-by-step instruction on how to install the MI Slack app on your server and update the the app to a newer version .
1. Connect to the server by ssh
- Use ssh email@example.com and replace the zeros with the server IP address.
- When prompted, enter the root password provided by your IT specialist.
2. Download the Slack app installation package
- Depending on the version, you will be given a link to the corresponding Slack app installation package.
- Along with the link, Username and Password will be provided by the MI support team; enter these credentials into the respective fields.
- Confirm your agreement with the Terms and Conditions of the Slack app usage.
- Click [Submit].
This will initiate the download process of the .tar.gz archive (containing all files required to install the system).
3. Operating Systems Supported
The list of supported Operating Systems:
- Debian 7 (wheezy)
- Debian 8 (jessie)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
- CentOS 6
- CentOS 7
- Ubuntu 14.04
3.1. Additional Actions for Operating Systems
If you are using a firewall on the Linux machine, inbound TCP ports 80 and 443 are necessary for the Slack app to work correctly. If they need to be opened, use the following commands:
Examples for iptables:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 80 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 443 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
Examples for ufw:
ufw allow 80/tcp ufw allow 443/tcp
Examples for firewall-cmd:
firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=80/tcp --permanent firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=443/tcp --permanent
4. Unpack the downloaded .tar.gz archive with the following command
tar -xfv MetricInsights-Slackbot-<version_number>.tar.gz
5. Enter the new unpacked folder
6. Initiate the installation process
- The MI Slack app must have an open access to the web.
- The installation commands below can only be run by a root user.
- Slack app can be installed on a server with the pre-installed MI application (Version 5.3.0. and beyond).
- The Slack app installer will not work with an MI application prior to 5.3.0
6.1. Install the Slack app on the same server as the main MI application
6.2. Install the Slack app on a separate server
6.3. The list of arguments that can be used during installation
7. Slack app update via packages
This method only works if the Slack app has been initially installed via the installation package (as described above).
To update the Slack app:
- Download the new package
- Extract the archive
- Install it over the old version