Create a Display Mask
Display Masks are used to control the format of dates and numeric values displayed on a Chart, Report, Dataset.
For example: yyyy/mm/dd OR mm/dd/yyyy.
Masks are one of the customizable pick lists that allows Administrators to create a new value 'on the fly' while in the process of defining or managing an element if none of the current Masks meet the requirements determined for an element.
1. Go to Admin > Charting Options > Chart Display Masks
The Display Masks screen opens.
2. Create a Display mask
Click [+ New Display Mask] at the bottom of the page.
The Add Display Mask pop-up opens.
2.1. NUMERIC Mask Type
For the Mask type select "Numeric" to define it as a number; for more details on creating a "Date" mask type, see below.
- Show Values as Currency: Select 'yes' to define the value currency; select 'no' for no prefix or other prefix of your choice
- Precision digits: Enter the number of digits to be shown after the decimal point character. If no value or zero is specified in this field, the system displays the number as an integer.
- Thousands Delimiter: Enter the character to be used, for example, a period. NOTE: If no value is entered, the system displays the number without a delimiter
- Decimal Point: Enter the character to be used In US notation, this is always a period; for example, 10.50. This field is not required if the number of Precision Digits is is zero or has no value entered.
- Amount Format: Select the format to be used from the drop-down list if 'Thousands' or 'Millions' is chosen. The actual value will be divided by 1000 or 1000000, as specified, and rounded to the specified precision before it is displayed.
- Prefix: Enter the character(s) or phrase to be displayed before a Mask's value; for example, '$' dollar sign
- Suffix: Enter the character(s) or phrase to be displayed after a Mask's value; for example, 'K' for thousands, 'M' for millions
- Use the Generate icon to the right of the Display Example display box to preview the mask
Save your settings.
2.2. DATE Mask Type
If you chose a Mask Type of "Date", complete the following settings:
- Optional. Enter the Prefix and Suffix character(s) or phrase to be displayed before and after Display Mask's date
- Show Quarter: Choose whether the quarter number for the date is to be shown between the Prefix and the formatted date value
- Date Format: Enter using the MySQL format string to apply to the date/time value
- Use the Generate icon to the right of the Display Example box to preview the mask
Save your settings.
NOTE: Only one Display Mask with the exact same settings is allowed.