Metric Insights 5.4.0 marks the launch of Announcements and Documents, extends our API capabilities and introduces a variety of plugin changes.
- Announcements are a re-imagination of our previous Homepage Message functionality, extended beyond the Homepage and into Element Viewers as well. They provide the means to configure important announcements for Users, with the ability to display them only to selected groups of users, or only on Elements built from a specific Data Source, or contained within specific Categories or Folders.
- Documents provide the ability to attach links or PDF files to associated elements and display them on Element Viewers, or globally (Global Documents). Customers with portal use-cases can now provide resources like release notes and user guides to help their end-users better understand content changes or describe nuances about KPIs and dashboards.
- Bursting to Slack Integration has been enhanced to allow distributing Burst content to a Slack Channel and the Slackbot configuration file has been encrypted for Security (slackbot.ini)
- Dataset and Data Source API's enable Users to create and edit Datasets and Data Sources via API calls to Metric Insights.
Announcements introduced in 5.4.0 are replacing the Homepage Message functionality.
The new features allow Admins and Power Users with privileges to:
- add multiple Announcements
- display Announcements within a preset time window
- optionally dismiss Announcements upon viewing
- restrict viewing to specified Groups
For more information, go to Creating an Announcement on Homepage or Element Viewers
1.1. Homepage Announcement
1.2. Element Viewer Announcement
Documentation can now be added to the Homepage and element Viewers as attached files (currently only PDF format is supported) or links to documents containing any relevant information regarding changes to content, new system functionality relevant to your use-cases, company management, and whatever else you can think up.
To view the full scope of this functionality, go to Adding Documents to Homepage or Element Viewers
2.1. Global Document
2.2. Document on Element Viewer
3. Slack Bursting
Slack Bursting requires a Custom Script. Contact email@example.com for assistance with configuration.
New in Release 5.3.3, Slack app functionality has been extended to include the option to send Burst content to a Slack Channel.
The following information can delivered to Slack:
- Burst Name
- Burst Description
- Tile Name
- Last Measurement Value and Time (for Metrics)
- Tile Description
- Preview Image
To learn more, click Bursting to a Slack Channel
4. Dataset and Data Source API
As of Release 5.4.0, Users can take advantage of extended API functionality. API calls can now be employed to:
- Get a list of Datasets and their Instances
- Obtain a list of all Data Sources, only SQL or only Plugin Data Sources
- Query and Set Access (User) Maps
- Retrieve Parameters for Plugin Data Sources
- Fetch a list of External Reports for Plugin Data Sources
For details, refer to:
5. Functionality enhancement
Admin Tools and Authentication
- User Type can be automatically set for new Users created via Single-Sign-On (SSO).
- "All Combinations" option was added for Compound Dimensions.
- Multiple filter selections were enabled for all plugins that support filters.
- All charting views (including Stoplight and Target) are supported on Homepage and Portal Pages.
- ZenDesk: plugin was moved to Java.
- ZenDesk: visual editor was added.
- Smarter fuzzy search algorithm was provided to improve relevance for multiple terms
6. Known Issues
- Aggregate Metrics do not display future dates.
Admin Tools and Authentication
- Password is not stored for LDAP Users. When LDAP User setting is activated, password still needs to be reset.
- Microstrategy: code error during data collection for Microstrategy Cube connection profile.
- Microstrategy: PDF image is truncated in External Report.
- Tableau: External Reports are created with static images instead of iframes at bulk upload.
[5.4.1] There are no restrictions on Dimensions that a Power User may choose as a Parent when creating or editing a Child Dimension.
7. Bugs fixed
- Special characters in element names no longer cause the "dismiss"(X) icon to be deactivated.
- Links to external visualization are displayed correctly in Tables on Homepage Tiles.
- Links in emails now allow opening a Dataset Report in Viewer.
- Google Analytics: column sorting in Viewer works as expected.
- Qliksense: images are now collected for all available values.
- ZenDesk: aggregating columns or adding derived fields to Reports run error-free.
- ZenDesk: "Assignee" column validation no longer fails.
- Android: SAML Authorization Page can now be opened if it is activated on your instance.