Metric Insights 5.5 introduces powerful new Reporting features that strike the right balance between pragmatic functionality and ease of use. Bursting to Slack is now as easy as checking a box, and we have made further investment in our Security Model.
- Reports now include multiple levels of filtering (global, or for individual components), new default charts, the ability to add arbitrary/custom charts (we support all the major charting libraries, including Highcharts), and more advanced conditional formatting. In total, there are 8 new major enhancements to Reporting.
- Bursting to Slack allows you to easily select a target Slack channel, a set of elements, and a schedule so that you can post Reports and Metrics directly to Slack.
- Security Model enhancements for Power Users to support multi-tenant enterprise deployments, including privileges for editing Portal Pages and Notification Schedules.
- Column Aliases for Datasets sourced from Tableau provides a failsafe for situations where a column/field name in your Tableau source changes.
- [5.5.1] Users can benefit from a number of new features and My Mobile application improvements.
1. Dataset Report Enhancements
Dataset Reports are production-ready in Release 5.5! They are now set as the default Report type (replacing what we now call Legacy Reports). Legacy Reports will continue to work, and can be enabled as a secondary option if necessary.
1.1. Data Filtering
Dataset Reports in 5.5 support the following types of Data Filtering:
- Report Filters (global) that apply to all Report Components (Tables, Charts and Visualizations)
- Table/Chart Filters that affect individual Table or Chart components
Report Filters functionality is exemplified below.
1.2. New Charting Capabilities
The comprehensive list of Charting options includes:
- Line/Bar/Area charts: visualize trends over a period of time; can be used to compare data for several measures
- Pie charts: display the share of different values in relation to a whole
- Map charts: compare values and show categories across various geographical regions
- Bubble charts: objectify data distribution or clustering trends
- Funnel charts: show progressions of measures through stages
- Range charts: represent data variability for different measures
For details, refer to Creating Charts in Dataset Reporting
1.3. Custom Charts
Users can now design their own Charts and make them available for Dataset Reporting.
- The full scope of functionality is reviewed in Adding Custom Charts to Dataset Reports
1.4. Rich Text Blocks: formatting
Users can now add blocks of text to your Dataset Reports to make them even more informative and compelling.
To use this option, drag the Text tile to the Report Canvas and add the required text information.
The following formatting functionality is supported:
- Undo/redo (change history)
- Bold, Italic, text alignment (left, center, right)
- Font color, background color
- Font family
- Font size
- [5.5.1] Tables
- [5.5.1] Ordered and Unordered lists
- [5.5.1] Source code (HTML) viewing and editing
1.5. [5.5.1] Rich Text Blocks: variables
Variables in Rich Text Blocks allow Users to add high-level KPIs to their Dataset Reports.
The default list of Variables can be extended from:
- the Variables dropdown
- the Text Block Editor
See details in Working with Text Blocks
1.6. Elements for Further Analysis (Drill To other Elements)
"Elements for further analysis" (other Reports, Metrics, Datasets and Visualizations) can be added to Dataset Report Components.
NOTE: Elements can be appended to a Dataset Report when creating or editing a Chart.
- Go to the Chart Editor: it will open automatically when adding a Chart; alternatively, you can use the Edit (Gear) button
- Click [+Drill To] to access a list of Metric Insights' elements that can be attached to your Chart
1.7. Tables: Sections and Grouping
As of Release 5.5, Table columns can be arranged into Groups and Sections for a more visually compelling display.
This is achieved by:
- Activating the corresponding options
- Dragging the required columns to the respective Sections and Grouping blocks
For more detailed information, refer to Using Sections and Groups in Dataset Report Tables
1.8. Tables: Aggregation
Aggregation option has been added to Dataset Reports, so that Users can apply aggregation in situ when working with Report Tables.
Supported aggregate functions are:
- Count Distinct
For further information, refer to Adding Column Aggregation to Dataset Report Tables
1.9. Tables: Conditional Formatting
Conditional Formatting has also been redesigned. The scope of changes is as follows:
- Formatting rules are formulated using the modified Builder
- Formatting can now be applied to the selected column or row
1.10. [5.5.1] Tables: Row Count changes
In Version 5.5.1, Row Count configuration settings have been extended.
Users can now change how the Table Row Count is displayed on the Homepage when there are:
- no rows
- 1 row
- multiple rows
To configure the Row Count for a Table:
- Activate "Show on Tile"
- Click [Edit] to open the Table Editor
- Modify the Row Count settings as required
1.11. Dataset Report Viewer changes
Dataset Report Viewer has been revamped to ensure consistent and seamless User experience.
- NEW: Dataset Report Filters can now be displayed and optionally positioned in Viewer (Top/Left/Right).
The example below shows Left positioning of Dataset Report Filters (that has been changed from default "Top").
2. Bursts: Slack distribution option
Bursts can now be sent to Slack directly from the Burst Editor.
For Slack Bursting:
- Activate the corresponding option "Send Burst via" Slack in the Burst Editor
- Select a Channel where a Burst should be delivered
For details, refer to Bursting to a Slack Channel (5.5 and beyond)
- Security settings must allow a Slack Channel to access elements that are bursted to that Channel
- To learn more, click MI Slack App Security
- Bursting only works for public Channels
3. Security Model Enhancements
Starting in Version 5.5, Power Users can be granted access to the Portal Page functionality that has been previously used exclusively by Admins.
Respective privileges that can be assigned to Power Users allow to:
Create Portal Pages (Parent)
- Create Portal Page Layouts
- Create Portal Page Templates
- Manage Portal Page Assets
- Allow Power Users to grant Portal Page, Template and/or Layout access to any User or Group
View more on Portal Page Security (Release 5.5 and beyond)
A new Privilege allows Power Users to access the full Notification Schedule Editor and grant Permissions to Public Schedules to Groups and other users as long as the PU has Edit Access to the Schedule. There is also an extended Security Privilege that allows access to be granted to any Group or User.
[5.5.1] CSV and Excel Restrictions
The Security Model has been enhanced with Download/Attachment restrictions that can be set for an instance using the new Config Variable "Disable CSV & Excel Data Downloads". When this parameter is set to "Y" (activated), it prevents all Regular and Power Users from downloading from Element Viewers, receiving CSV/Excel as email attachments, pushing them to FTP/Share File) via a Burst unless a User has the new "Download CSV and Excel Data" Privilege.
View more detail in CSV/Excel Download Restrictions
[5.5.1] Bulk Change
Power Users can now apply Bulk Changes to elements, a function previously restricted to Admins. A Power User can select Elements to which User has Edit Access for Bulk Changes and is restricted in choosing new settings as follows:
- Categories to which the User has either Edit Access to the Category or View Access AND the "Assign Category with View Access to Elements/Datasets" Privilege
- Data Collection Triggers to which User has at least Use Access
- "Access Target View" Privilege has been removed for all users; it is no longer needed since any user can view the Targets if the Metric has them.
- If a User Map has been applied to Reports built from Datasets, the restriction not to include Admins has been removed. An Admin or PU (Power User) with Edit Access to the Dataset or Dataset Report can filter displays on the Dataset Viewer or Report Editor to only see data that a user in the User Map can see.
- "Share Favorites" Privilege has been included in the "Personal Settings" group with the ability to assign it to Regular and Power Users and it allows the user to share their Favorites with Groups to which they belong and to user members of those Groups. This restores a previous Privilege that had been removed.
- Power Users have the ability to create Smart Folders from the Folder Editor when the PU has Edit Access to the Dataset that contains the tiles to be included.
- For performance reasons, the Security Model only checks to ensure that a user has access to an object at the point at which the user tries to access its Viewer or Editor. If the user does not have full access, including necessary Category, Data Source, component element or other Permission and related Create Content Privileges, a standard Error Page is presented to the user noting that Privileges or Permissions are missing and advising contacting an Admin for resolution.
3.1. [5.5.1] Managing Burst Subscriptions via a User Map
Burst Subscriptions can now be maintained via User Maps. The list of Users that are subscribed to a Burst is displayed in corresponding grid in My Notifications Editor > Subscriptions tab alongside the dates when those Users were Added and Unsubsribed.
- Activate the "Set Subscribers via User Map" toggle to see the list User Maps available in the dropdown.
For more information, refer to Define Subscriptions via a User Map
4. Column Aliases for Datasets sourced from Tableau
Was a column renamed in Tableau? Instead of rebuilding all content built from the Tableau Data Source, you can now add a column alias that will link the new column name to the column in your Metric Insights Dataset / Element. Aliasing is available in the Visual Editors of Elements / Datasets sourced from Tableau.
5. Dropbox Paper Plugin
The Dropbox Paper plugin allows fetching images from a Dropbox account as a list of Dropbox Paper Objects and use them to populate Metric Insights Datasets or Elements.
- Find more information in How to collect data from Dropbox Paper
6. Homepage Folder/Category Hierarchy Display
The Metric Insights Homepage can now be configured to display the selected Folder or Category and all of its children in a single click (e.g., clicking on Folder A will display the content of Folder A, Folder A1 and Folder A2 simultaneously). Parent Folders/Categories are represented as headings and Child Categories/Folders as subheadings — a breadcrumb trail allows users to easily move between different levels of hierarchy.
Contact email@example.com for help with configuration.
7. [5.5.1] My Mobile
7.1. QR Code Login
5.5.1 My Mobile application uses QR Codes to make setting instance URL fast and easy.
The QR code:
- includes the current instance URL
- does not include Username and Password
Obtain the QR Code from My Mobile page in the MI web application. Scan the QR code with the MI mobile app to pair with the server.
Learn more from [iOS, Android] Set instance URL via QR code
7.2. Ability to hide Folders from Mobile
In order to hide a certain Folder from Mobile:
- Access the Folder via Content > Folders > select a Folder
- Go to the Folder Editor > Sharing tab
- Switch "Hide Folder on Mobile" to ON
8. [5.5.1] External Reports: option to hide Collaboration and Footer
The new check box "Show collaboration and footer" in the External Report Editor allows Users to reformat the appearance of Viewer by disabling irrelevant options.
Collaboration and footer are displayed by default. If required, Users can clear the corresponding check box.
- To learn more, go to What are External Reports?
- [5.5.1] Dataset Reports can now be delivered via a Burst that uses the SMS template.
- [5.5.1] Explicit "View" button has been added to the Dataset Report Editor, allowing Users to View their Reports without saving any changes.
- [5.5.1] Homepage search information is now logged to the database (homepage_search table), including: username, time of search, and the number or tiles that were returned.
- [5.5.1] "Created by" Filter has been added to the Dataset Views List Page.
- Users can be provided with a URL that logs any User in as a Guest without requiring username or password.
10. Known Issues
- If sorting is changed, links will lead to the wrong External Visualization.
- Microstrategy: At times, a PDF image may be truncated in an External Report.
11. Bugs fixed
- Qlik Sense: authentication with client certificate is now successful; plugin connection no longer fails.
- Empty Dataset Reports are no longer sent to Users who are not in User Maps.
- Removing a Group of Users from a Burst now unsubscribes these Users from the Burst.
- Display Values are no longer sent to the server instead of Key Values in an External Report.
- Tile order in Folders is now preserved in the "Show All" display mode.
- Speed issue resolved for Dataset Change Views and Reports.
- External content embedded in a Report is now displayed as expected.