Establish connectivity to Google Analytics
This article describes how to connect to Google Analytics in order to load data into Datasets and Reports in Metric Insights.
- Before you use any Google plugin resources, you must have registered your server with Google. See Integrating Metric Insights with Google Services for more information.
- Creating Google Plugin Data Sources in Metric Insights requires the usage of Client Credentials. For details, check Obtaining Client Application Credentials from Google Projects
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the screen click [+ New Data Source].
The Select the Type of New Data Source pop-up opens.
2. Select Type of New Data Source
- Select "Other" and choose "Google Analytics" from the drop-down list
3. Provide the Required Parameters
- Data Source Name is defaulted but you may modify it
- Client ID: enter the Client ID Token for authentication
- Client Secret: input the Client secret
- [Save]: you need to save your settings before you can get the Token
- Click [Get Token]. The token will be provided only for a specific Google account, so the system will prompt you to select the account you want to use.
4. Select your Google Account
On the Google sign-in pop-up, select the account for which the Token will be generated.
5. Allow Access to your Google Account
- After accepting the access request from Metric Insights, you will be provided with a Token.
6. Optional Parameters and Advanced Configuration
Having obtained the Token, you can configure Optional and Advanced Settings:
- GA account Filter List: optionally, filter Google Analytics Objects by Account(s). Objects from the specified account(s) will be used to create Datasets and Elements in Metric Insights.
Generate Object List
- automatically: all Reports are going to be fetched by the system
- manually: Reports may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Object List Refresh Trigger: from the dropdown, select the Trigger that will be used to fetch data via the Google Analytics plugin
- Object Selection Method: specify how Google Analytics Reports will be fetched
- Optionally, state the maximum number of concurrent Threads to utilize during data and/or image fetch to be used in background processing when the system updates Reports for this Data Source
- If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded
7. Other Settings
- You can create Datasets or Elements directly from the respective tabs
- Click Permissions to assign permissions to the Data Source to Groups or Power Users