Create a Simple (Undimensioned) Legacy Report
Creating Reports has been greatly simplified by using the new Dataset Reporting feature - see Dataset Reports Overview (New in 5.3)
1. Access New > Report > Legacy Report
NOTE: The format of the Report Editor is slightly different in earlier Versions.
- Measured: Choose a Report interval
- Dimension it by: leave blank
- Name: must be unique
- Description (optional):
- Category: select a Category for your report
- Put in Folder (optional): select a Folder to contain your report
- Tags (optional): Tags (are referred to as Topics in Versions prior to 5.1): Tags / Topics are used to relate elements to each other for purposes of identifying similar Charts when the See Related drop-down list in the Metric Viewer is populated allowing a more in-depth analysis of trends. For details refer to: Create a Topic / Tag
Next: define details
The System will automatically open the Data tab
1.1. (Optional) Info field updates - select the Info tab
- [6.1.0] As of Release 6.1.0, it is possible to flag elements and then Migrate Content using our Export/Import Migration Scripts. Click for details: Scripted Migration via Category and Element Editors
- Certified: Certification is a means for Admin and Power Users to identify elements that have been approved as being valid and accurate. For details refer to: Certifying an Element
2.1. Specify how to collect your data
- Select the Data Source to be used to source your data
- Choose the Trigger that will collect data for your report (Data collection trigger)
- Select a Worksheet from drop-down based on your Data Source
- Add external Filters if required. For information on expanded filters options, see Applying Filters in Dataset Reports
- Enter a Plugin command or use Visual Editor to select Report fields
Click [Show data]
2.2. Review result set displayed below
- Click [Show Data Preview] to open a preview of the selected data.
- Specify whether or not the Report should be saved as a Snapshot (see How to create a Snapshot Report
- Set the date-time value to be used as the effective date value for the report. This value is only applicable to Reports with saved historical instances. New Time Command values may be added from the drop-down list as needed.
- If you want the complete result set shown in the report (without pivoting the data), set Save as system table to 'Yes'.
- If a charting interval drop-down is to be included in your report ('Last 6 Months', 'Last Year', etc...), identify the date column that is to be used to drive this control in Include date filter based on from the available choices in the drop-down.
- Once you confirm that the Sample result set contains the expected data, Save the Report.
2.3. Modify Data Column Display Attributes
Upon successful Save, a Report Columns section will appear in the editor below the Sample result set. You can click into the Report Columns to change their following defaulted attributes:
- Display Name
- Determine whether a numeric column is to be shown with a Currency mask
- Define a specific Display Format Mask for date and numeric columns
- Add a Description if needed
- Indicate if Results are to be displayed
- Check if Totals are desired for numeric fields
- Use arrows to alter position of data
3.1. Include Report Tables and Charts
- If you want to pivot your data for display or charting, click the [+ Pivot] button and follow the instructions that apply.
- To chart the data that you have collected, click the [+ Chart] button.
- To include external content in Report, use [+ Embed Content] button.
- To edit or delete Pivot tables, Charts and Embedded Content, choose the corresponding option from the dropdown.
See the following Articles for details:
3.2. Adjust Visualization and Display
- Specify the name of the external Report that will be used for Visualization.
- Choose which Report columns are to be mapped to external Filters. At least one Report column and one Filter must be selected to filter the Visualization.
- Select "full image" or "links only" display for you visualization.
- Indicate if your Images should link to This Report or External Visualization.
- If "This Report" is chosen, emails for Digests and other notifications containing this report will, when clicked, direct the user to this Report's View
- If "External Visualization" is selected, clicking the image in an email takes the user to the BI tool and opens the image in that location; e.g., Tableau
- [Optional] Check if you want only one Visualization to be displayed for all Filter combinations.
Tile and Preview Display
- Select the image you want to use as Thumbnail and for Preview
- Optionally, choose an alternative Element to be displayed as Tile on Homepage
For more information on External Visualization, refer to:
Alter default (if needed) and specify settings for:
- Content Distribution
- [Display only] Report Alerts on the Report
- in order to receive Alerts on a Report, you need to create and link them to the Report via New > Alert Rule > Report Alert
- to be able to set Alerts, make sure your Report is snapshotted: i.e., the Report is set to keep history. Read more on How to create a Snapshot Report
- [Optional] Alert Rules for Sending this Report
- if required, click [+Associate Alert Rules] > Select Metric to Associate > click [Associate] and apply Metric Alert Rules
[5.2.1] Display options now allow Users to specify map column-level overrides for blank values. This new Setting is used to to define how blank values in the Stats model are displayed in a report.
Numeric NULL values can be displayed as:
Text Blank values:
- can be displayed as word or phrase of your choice
- default to empty: i.e., nothing is displayed whenever text values are unavailable