Migrating from Legacy Reports to Dataset Reports
Starting in Q2 2022, Metric Insights will no longer support Legacy Reports.
Legacy Report is a type of Report that could be created directly from any Data Source, except for Dataset. It was the only reporting option in versions 5.2 and prior. The "new" Dataset Reports were released in v5.3. This type can be built only from Dataset previously created in the system.
Compared to Dataset Reports, Legacy Reports lack robustness and offer limited usability. Another reason for stopping support for Legacy Reports is the future migration from Python 2.7.
In case Legacy Reports are still essential for your organization, they need to be migrated to Dataset Reports. This article provides tips and basic instructions on the migration process.
Our support (firstname.lastname@example.org) is always ready to help you in case you have any questions or need assistance with the migration.
NOTE: Snapshot Reports can not be migrated to Dataset Reports.
Contact our support at email@example.com if you need assistance.
1. Finding Legacy Reports in the System before 6.3.0
Access New > Dataset > Create New
- Enter the basics on the Info tab (like in Step 3.1)
- On the Data tab, select "Dashboard DB" as Data Source
- Input the following SQL statement:
SELECT element_id, name, last_updated_time FROM dashboard_element WHERE type = 'internal report' AND report_dynamic_layout_ind = 'N';
- [Enable & View] will redirect to Dataset View displaying available Legacy Reports
2. Understanding the Importance of Legacy Report
Lineage for Legacy Reports will be available in v6.3.0.
Access Content > Elements
- Filter Type by "Report" and find the Legacy Report to be migrated
- Access the Lineage Diagram to understand dependencies between the Legacy Report and other Objects in Metric Insights
- This way you can understand if the Report is a parent to other important Objects and Elements that need to be recreated after the migration.
3. Understanding Options for Migration of Legacy Reports
Legacy Reports can be migrated to Dataset Reports by reusing the same query. The process is outlined below.
- Basic Charts from Legacy Reports can be recreated in Dataset Reports by using the functionality on the Content tab.
- For instructions on how to enable existing Charting libraries for Dataset Reports, refer to Adding Custom Charts to Dataset Reports.
- In case the Report includes complex Charts that your organization needs to continue using, contact Metric Insights support at firstname.lastname@example.org to help you with the migration process.
3.1. Create New Dataset
Access New > Dataset > Create New
Enter the basics:
- Select the measurement interval that applies to the level of aggregation that you want in your result set
- Define if Dataset should be searchable
- Input a descriptive phrase in Name
- Specify Category to place the Dataset
Proceed to Data tab to define details
3.2. Define Settings for Data Collection
- Select the same Data Source that was used to create the Legacy Report
- Specify Data collection trigger that will be used to collect data for Dataset
- Input the same SQL statement that was used to create the Legacy Report
- [Enable & View]
3.4. Define Report Details
- Choose Dataset & View created from the Legacy Report
- Proceed to the Content tab to recreate Charts
3.5. Recreate Charts
Select the new Chart type that you configured for support in Dataset Reports (as described in Adding Custom Charts to Dataset Reports)