Pre-filtering Qlik Sense data (prior to 5.6.0)
When sourcing data for Metrics, Reports, External Reports, Dimensions and Datasets from the Qlik Sense objects, you can pre-filter data before collecting it to Metric Insights. This functionality allows focusing on the exact slice of data that is required for analysis and exclude the data that is irrelevant for you and your research.
Most of the data displayed on the Qlik Sense Objects can be filtered by the offered criteria.
On the example below, the "Gross Profit by Channel" chart has been refined by values in 3 filters:
- Country: to Australia, Canada and Germany only
- Product Category: to wine
- Channel: to website visit only
If there is no need to fetch data for other filter values (other countries or channels), you can pre-filter Qlik Sense data before collecting it to Metric Insights.
Start off by creating an element. Once you get to the process of Data Collection, define the following:
- Data Source: This is an entity that connects Qlik Sense and Metric Insights. For more information, see: Establish Connectivity to Qlik Sense
- Object: Click Select Object to open the pop-up with the list of available Reports.
- Items in the Object list have 3 level hierarchy (representing the path to a respective object in Qlik Sense). In our example the Chart we need is located at: Daily Sales application > Sales Analys sheet > Gross Profit by Channel is a name of a Chart itself.
- If you do not see the required item, try refreshing the list by clicking the Refresh icon at the upper right corner of the pop-up.
- Alternatively, rather than choosing an Object from the list in the pop-up, you can manually add the Object reference as follows:
[Application name]&sheet=[Sheet name]&object=[Object name]
Once filters are added to a Metric / Report or External Report for the first time, they are going to be automatically added to all new respective elements with the same Data Source / Sheet.
- External filters are tied to Qlik Sense Sheets, not Metric Insights' elements. This allows Filters to be reused for multiple elements (there is no need to create new Filters every time an element is created in Metric Insights).
- If there are more External Filters or Filter Values that you would like to use for the current element, you can always set the redundant ones to "ignore".
When creating a Metric / Report / External Report fetched from Qlik Sense, after you define the Object that should serve as a Data Source, you may pre-filter information that is going to be fetched.
To do that, click [+ Qliksense Filter]. Next, you can choose whether you are going to define filters manually or via the existing Dimension Values. For instructions on creating a Dimension sourced from QlikView see:
NOTE: Examples given below are taken from the Qlik Sense Object shown at the top of the page.
- Qliksense Filter Name: Define the name of the filter from Qlik Sense
- Filter Values: choose 'Enter Manually'
- Click [+ Add Value] and in the opened pop-up manually type in the name of the filter, for example, "wine". Be careful and make sure there are no typos or mistakes, otherwise the system will not be able to map this filter with Qlik Sense data. Save your entry. All added values should appear in the Values list.
- Save your entries.
If you have already used Qliksense filters to create Dimensions in Metric Insights, you can quickly choose which Dimension Values you want to use for pre-filtering:
- Qliksense Filter Name: Define the name of the filter from QlikView.
- Filter Values: choose 'Map to Dimension Values'.
- Dimension: select a corresponding Dimension from the drop-down list and all its Dimension Values are going to be loaded to the Values list automatically. For more details refer to: Create a Dimension with values fetched from Qlik Sense
- Save your entries.
- Click the Pencil icon in the filter row to set it up.
- When the filter is added, you can use it for "All Values", "Only Selected Values" or ignore it.