How to Collect Data using Qlik Sense
This article will show you how to create an Element using a Qlik Sense plugin as a Data Source. It assumes that you have already established connectivity to your Qlik Sense server.
1. Access New > Metric
Provide the basic information required for creating a new Metric:
- Define this Metric's Measure. If you do not see the measure that you want to use, you can create one directly from the bottom of this drop-down list
- Select the Measurement Interval that applies to your element
- Give the element a unique Name
- Optionally, assign a Category.
- Click Next: define details to proceed with Metric creation
NOTE: To build a dimensioned Metric, you first need to create a Dimension sourced from the same data source.
2. Full Editor displays the Data Collection tab
- Select the Qlik Sense plugin serving as a Data Source for this Metric
- Set the Data Collection Trigger which is going to initiate updating information in this Metric
- Select a Qlik Sense Object that should become a basis for this particular Metric
- Input Plugin Command manually using MIQL (you may also reference a table with parameters below) or use a Visual Editor
2.1. Example using the Visual Editor
The Qlik Sense Query Builder is called by Visual Editor link
- Select Fields and set Expressions
- You can pre-filter the information before fetching it into Metric Insights. To do so, add Filters in the Query Builder
- Optionally you can add 'ascending' and 'descending' Sorting to the field values
Save your settings. Command validation will start automatically.
The query must include the columns, listed in the hint box to the right of the Plugin command field:
- Optional. Metric Insights dimension (for dimensioned Metrics and Reports only)
- measurement datetime
- measurement value
- Entire field names that contain special characters, aggregation and commas must be enclosed in quotes (single or double).
- It is acceptable to enclose all fields and values in quotes.
[…] + Notation is used to signify that the MIQL parts of a statement are optional/can be repeated.
3. Collect Data for the Metric
If entering the plugin command manually:
- Validate the command. If your statement is valid, the statement box is green; if there are any errors, the box is colored in red and errors will be explained in the field below.
- Collect Data
- At the upper right corner of the screen, click Enable and Publish to save the element and make it available to other Users in the system