How to collect External Reports from Microsoft PowerBI
This article demonstrates how to create an External Report using a Microsoft PowerBI as a data source. It assumes that you have already established connectivity to Microsoft PowerBI via plug-in.
This article describes the process of creating and configuring a Microsot PowerBI plugin, namely:
- Defining basics: Report Type, Dimension, Trigger, Connection Profile, etc.
- Configuartion > Display: define whether the image should be shown in the Metric Insights interface or external page
- Configuartion > Advanced: choose to collect image always or on demand
- [New in 5.1] Configuartion > Image Display: setup the collected image
1. Defining basics
Access New > External Report > Microsoft PowerBI.
The New External Report screen opens. Provide the following information:
- Give your new External Report a Name
- Report Type: Report type determines generic settings of the External Report (source of images, download ability, drill down authentication, etc.). Choose an option from the list or create one on-the-fly by clicking the Plus button. For more details, refer to: Create a new External Report Type
Define whether you want report content to be updated manually or automatically. In case you choose Automatic Collection, define the following settings:
- Define the Report Image Trigger from drop-down list
- Select the Plugin Connection Profile you have created for Microsoft PowerBI. For more details, refer to: Establish Connectivity to Microsoft PowerBI
- Report: Select a required View available from the selected connection profile
- Click Next: define details to proceed with Report creation.
2. Configuartion > Display
- Viewer: The report sourced from PowerBI is typically shown at the source page, so make sure to set this field to "external page".
- The External Report URL will be generated automatically based on your other inputs. If you like, you can modify the URL by appending a question mark (?) followed by any filter or parameter settings
3. Configuration > Advanced
- Always collect all instances of external report: Collect all images and cache them on a schedule.
- On Demand: only when needed for distribution: Individual images are only collected when they need to be included in an email.
4. Configuartion > Image Display
- Click Save and Collect Image.
- Setup image: Once the Image is collected, a new option is available below the Homepage Preview image in the External Report Editor: Setup Image. When retrieving images from PowerBI, we capture a static image of the Dashboard/Report and need to know the ideal size for the image being captured. Its default size is 1200 x 800; however, PowerBI allows manual resizing/rescaling the image. If you change the image size or scaling values, click Apply Changes and Save. When the image is recollected, it will be automatically scaled to match these values and stored in Metric Insights for future usage.