Create a Dataset from Microsoft Power BI Cloud
A Metric Insights' Dataset or element can be populated automatically based on data fetched from Microsoft Power BI.
Establish connectivity to Microsoft Power BI Cloud via the respective plugin connection profile.
1. Create New Power BI Cloud Dataset
Access New > Dataset > Create New
- Measured: select the measurement interval that applies to your element
- Collecting: is disabled by default and is enabled once you enable the Dataset
- Define whether the Dataset should be searchable
- Category: specify the Category where your Dataset will be placed
2. Define the Settings for Data Collection
Access the Data tab
- Beginning 6.3.1. you can specify the Data Storage where the Dataset will be stored
- Data Source: select the connection profile you have created for Microsoft Power BI Cloud
- Specify the Data collection trigger that will be used to collect data for your Dataset
Report: select a Microsoft Power BI Object that should serve as a basis for your Dataset
- Types of Microsoft Power BI Objects whose data can be queried by the Metric Insights plugin are described in Power BI Plugin Capabilities
- Enter an MDX / DAX query listing all the data you would like to fetch from Power BI
- Note: If the OleDB Data parameter of Plugin Connection Profile is set to "false", only DAX queries can be used
- Once you are ready with your command, click [Validate]
- If the statement is valid, the Validation Rows Preview section pops up at the bottom of the screen. You can also open it by clicking Show validation rows under the Plugin command box.
- [Enable & View] to proceed to Dataset Viewer
- Entire field names that contain special characters, aggregation and commas must be enclosed in quotes (single or double).
- It is acceptable to enclose all fields and values in quotes.
If you encounter the "
Failed to connect to OLE-DB server. Check your Dataset server location and updates for Analyze in Excel" error message, run the RDP service as an AD service account:
- Access Services > Metric Insights Data Processor Daemon > Properties > Log On, select AD service account
3. See the Dataset Viewer
To view the options available to complete the definition of this new Dataset, see Access, Create, and modify Dataset Views.