[KPI Alert Rules] Wizard, types, criteria, user subscriptions
This article describes Alerting in Version 5.1 and further.
For the reference on prior Versions (4.2 or 5.0.x), see: [KPI Alert Rules] Basics for the Alert Wizards
There are multiple variations of Alert Wizard, the correct one will be chosen for you based on where you begin to create an alert. For an example, this article will use the KPI Alert Creation Wizard as an example. The other wizards are very similar in design.
The various comparison options are explained pictorially here.
Can be created by: Admin Users. Power and Regular Users should have a "Create Custom Alert" Privilege assigned to them either directly or via Group Membership. Check at Admin > Users > User Editor > Info tab > Privileges section
Can be applied to: Metrics. External Visualizations also support Metric-based Alert Rules.
NOTE: The video below shows the User Interface of Version 4.2 / 5.0/x. The changes made in Version 5.1.x:
- slight difference of the step ordering
- an ability to apply an Alert Workflow.
Create new KPI alert rule
- Admin and Power Users can access the wizard from New > Alert Rule > KPI Alert
- All Users can access the wizard via the Metric Viewer > Alert icon > Alert Кules pop-up > [ + New Rule]
KPI Alert Wizard
1. Alert Rule Type
- Choose which Type of Alert Rule you plan to create:
- Fixed Value: This will compare the latest measurement value to a specific threshold that you set
- Prior Value: Compare the latest measurement value to a prior value for the same metric (e.g. value from same time last year)
- Average of prior values: Compare the latest measurement value to the average of values recorded recently
- Target Value: Set the Alert based on how the latest measurement time compares with a target value
- Recent Volatility Levels: Compare the latest measurement value to the standard deviations of the average of values recorded recently
- Combination of multiple Alerts: a flexible way to customize your criteria
For detailed explanation per each option visit: Alert Comparison options
- Public / Private Alert: Choose whether you want to use this Alert Rule individually or other Users can subscribe to it as well.
2. Alert Criteria
This step is going to have different set of Alert criteria options depending on the Alert Rule Type selected in Step 1 (see above).
The process of setting the Alert criteria is similar to constructing a sentence: you choose conditions and the values which are going to serve as a reference.
You can customize the defaults for:
- Subject: You have an option to provide different Subject line displayed both for email and phone alerts
- Alert Text: The text that displays on Viewers and in emails for this Alert
- Send with the Alert: You can choose to add Alternative Visualization by selecting it from the drop-down list or attach Nothing
- Additional message is optional
- The Preview & Test section will display the Content as you change it - you can also trigger a Test Alert to be generated to verify spacing for the alert.
4. Default Notification Method / Alert Workflow
- Choose whether you want to add an Alert Workflow. To know more about Managed Alerting, refer to this section of our Help: Managed Alerting
- Define the default distribution method and alerting frequency for this Alert. If this Alert Rule is public and other users will be subscribing to it, they can choose their preferred delivery method and frequency.
NOTE: To unsubscribe from this Alert, clear the check box next to the Alert Subject.
How to subscribe other Users to this Alert?
You are going to be redirected to the Alert Rule Editor.