Establish Connectivity to Qlik Sense
This article describes the process of creating plug-in Data Source to connect to Qlik Sense. This Data Source will allow data from existing Qlik Sense objects to be used in building elements using Metric Insights tools.
- Enable the following ports: 4242, 4243, 4244, 4747
- For other step-by-step instructions, please see the article Prerequisites to connecting to Qlik Sense server
The following article covers:
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the screen click [+New Data Source].
2. Select "Other" Data Source Type and choose "Qlik Sense" from the drop-down
Move to the Next step.
3. Provide Required Qlik Sense Parameters
1. Data Source Name will default but may be modified
2. Define what type of protocol is used to connect to your tableau server:
- https:// (for the secure connection protocol see Qlik Sense Site)
3. Input Click through server aka the URL to use for creating UI links back to your Qlik Sense server. For example:
NOTE: This is the same URL that you see when accessing Qlik Sense via your web browser.
- Enter the Qlik Sense server with WebSocket protocol and port number included. Prefix the server with 'wss://' for Secure WebSocket protocol connection, 'ws://' otherwise. Use port 4747 for the default WebSocket port used by Qlik Sense. For example:
The server value is nearly the same as the click through server value. Just replace the 'http(s)' scheme protocol in the click through server parameter with 'ws(s)' and add ':4747' port at the end.
- Enter Username
4. Secure Connection Proxies (on Qlik Sense server)
If your Qlik Sense uses a secure connection, provide a certificate by going to your Qlik Sense server and logging onto the QMC (http://your-qliksense-server/qmc/virtualproxies).
Secure Connection Virtual Proxy
To provide additional websites with access to Qlik Sense server, list them at the Host white list at Virtual Proxy > Profile > Properties > Advanced tab.
Increase session timeout for the Proxy site
Navigate to your Proxy on the QMC.
Increase the session timeout
Increase the Session inactivity timeout (minutes) to 1440. This will allow Metric Insights to complete any job requests (e.g., get data from some report) without Qlik Sense prematurely ending the session.
5. Optional Qlik Sense Parameters
NOTE: You can also configure the behavior of Qlik Sense plugin by using other parameters listed here in qlik.conf.
6. Advanced Configurations
- Set Use Remote Data Collector to yes in order to bridge the link between MI and the QS server. Then select the Remote Data Collector created when following the Prerequisites to connecting to Qlik Sense server article.
External Reports fetch method: This setting influences options available in the Qlik Sense Report List tab:
- automatically: just click Refresh list and all Reports are going to be fetched by the system
- manually: Reports may be added one-by-one or via CSV file
- Optionally, specify the maximum number of concurrent Threads per Trigger execution to be used in background processing when the system updates Metrics and Reports for this Data Source. If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded.
7. Other settings
- You can create elements or Datasets directly from the respective tabs
- Click Permissions to assign them to Groups or Power Users