How to create a Dimensioned External Report from Tableau
This article will guide you through the process of creating a dimensioned external report sourced from Tableau.
1. Access New > External Report > Tableau
NOTE: If there is no Tableau Report Type in the list, you can create one by following instructions in this article: Create a new External Report Type
- Give your new report a Name, preferably matching the name in Tableau
- Choose the Dimension you have created as a prerequisite to creating an External Report. For more details refer to: Create a Dimension with Values collected from Tableau
- Define whether you want report content to be updated manually or automatically. In case you choose Automatic Collection, define the following settings:
- Define how often you want the external report image to be updated by choosing one of the triggers in the Report Image Trigger field. You can create a new Trigger on the go by scrolling down to the bottom of the drop-down list and selecting an Add New Data Collection Trigger option.
- Select an existing Plugin Connection Profile. This should be the same Connection profile that you used for
- Select a Tableau Workbook and Worksheet available for that connection profile
- Click Next: define details to proceed with Report creation.
2. External Report Editor displays
Most of these fields will be completed based on your previous entries. Adjust as required.
Show Report in: two options are available:
- Viewer: the Tableau external Report is embedded into the Metric Insights Viewer
- External web page: user is redirected to the corresponding Tableau page
3. [Version 5.0] You may add filters to include only those dimension Values
- [Prior to Version 5.0] Enter the Tableau filter name here. This tells Metric Insights how to select data in the Tableau view. It needs to know which filter in the Tableau view has county names in it.
- [Version 5.0]:
- Click [+ Tableau Filter]. The Add Tableau Filter pop-up opens.
- Tableau Filter Name: Copy the name of the filter from Tableau
- Dimension: select the Dimension you have used for this Report and all its Dimension Values are going to be loaded to the Values list automatically.
- Save your selection to confirm your actions.
NOTE: If you have more filters on the Tableau view, you are not supposed to fetch ALL data from the View, you can choose only those ones you need by specifying them via Filters. For more details on Tableau filters: How to find Filter names in Tableau
4. Collecting an Image
- Collect Images:
- Always collect all instances of external report: Collect all images and cache them on a schedule
- On Demand: only when needed for distribution: Individual images are only collected when they need to be included in an email.
Let's review this setting on the following example: One of your external reports is dimensioned and has 50+ Dimension Values. You may either choose to always update images for all of them after the data collection trigger runs or select On Demand image collection (when it should be included into Digest, shared, etc.)
NOTE: This setting is only available if the element is NOT made visible on Homepage.
- Click Save and collect image to create the Preview and Thumbnail images for display on the Homepage and Notifications.
5. Enable and Publish
You now have a drop-down list above the External Report where you can filter to each particular County.