Dimensions with Multiple Values
As of Release 5.4.0, Users can load aggregate data into External Reports and build visualizations using multiple filter selections.
This is achieved by creating Dimensions with Multiple Values and mapping them to combined Filter Values in the respective BI tool.
- Multiple Dimension Values can only be used with Plugin Data Sources that support Filters.
1. Create a Dimension with Multiple Values
1.1. Access Content > Dimensions
Click [+ New Dimension]
1.2. Define the Basics
Specify the basic information for your Dimension, save, and proceed to the next step.
For details on creating Dimensions, you can refer to:
1.3. Info tab > Dimension Values section
- Click [+ New Dimension Value]
- If necessary, add single Dimension Values
- In the example above, these are the Values representing sales in each separate country
- Create Multiple Values that combine several measurements
- If you have sales data for Canada and United States, you can collect aggregate data and build a View for North America
- Optionally, you can build Dimensions having only Multiple (aggregate) Values
- Multiple Values must have Delimiters
- Only the following Delimiter symbols are supported: tilde (~), underscore (_) and hyphen (-)
2. Configure a Plugin Data Source to support Multiple Values
- Admin > Data Sources > Plugin Data Sources > Info tab
- Specify the Delimiter that you used with Multiple Dimension Values
3. Map an External Filter to this Dimension
- External Report > Configuration tab
- [+ Plugin Filter] to add an external filter that will be mapped to the Dimension with Multiple Values
- On the pop-up, enter the Filter Name
- From the dropdown, select the Dimension with Multiple Values
- External Report must be Dimensioned by the same Dimension (which is specified in the Info tab)
- For more information on Dimensioned External Reports, refer to How to create a Dimensioned External Report from Tableau
After you Enable & Publish your Report, you will be able to access visualizations with aggregate data for Multiple Dimension Values.
4. Display Visualizations for Multiple Values
Provided the above configuration steps were performed correctly, you will be able to access visualizations built for Multiple Dimension Values.