Establish Connectivity to Microsoft PowerBI
This article describes how to connect to Microsoft PowerBI. By integrating with PowerBI, you can get data and images of PowerBI objects (see capabilities and prerequisites to connecting below).
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
At the bottom of the page, click [+ New Data Source].
Select the Type of New Data Source popup opens.
2. Select the "Other" data source type option and choose "Microsoft PowerBI" from the drop-down
Move to the Next step.
3. Provide Required PowerBI Parameters
Specify how to connect to Microsoft PowerBI. The parameters include:
- Data Source Name: You can use the default name or enter a more precise name that fits your business needs.
- Username / Password: Note that the username must be a cloud only Microsoft PowerBI user, or if an AD user, the AD user must exist / be synced in Azure AD for PowerBI authentication.
- Application ID: Azure Application ID of the registered Azure app that represents Metric Insights (to connect to PowerBI)
- "empty" field: plugin will collect PowerBI objects from My Workspace only (workspace of user used to connect)
- "*": plugin will collect PowerBI objects from all workspaces available to the user used to connect, except for My Workspace
- "Workspace names" (comma-separated or patterns): plugin will collect PowerBI objects from specified workspaces
- Save your entries and Test Connection
If you want to be able to get Data from PowerBI Datasets (to create Metrics, Reports, and Datasets), you must utilize the Metric Insights Remote Data Collector to connect to PowerBI directly. For more information on how to install and use the RDC, please see articles 3.1 and 3.2 in the Configuring Remote Data Collectors manual.
4. Advanced Configuration
External Reports fetch method: This setting influences options available in the Microsoft PowerBI Reports List tab:
- automatically: clicking Refresh list will automatically fetch all objects from PowerBI
- manually: PowerBI objects to fetch metadata for must be manually added or by uploading a CSV file
- Optionally, specify the maximum number of concurrent Threads per Trigger execution to be used in background processing when the system updates elements for this Data Source. If you do not specify any value for this setting, batch data collection processing will be single-threaded.
5. Other Settings
- You can create Elements or Datasets directly from their respective tabs
- Click Permissions to assign the data source to specific Groups or Power Users