Prerequisites for connecting to Microsoft Power BI
1. Open access to Power BI endpoints
Integration with Power BI requires opening the following endpoints:
- app.powerbi.com (port 443)
- *.windows.net (port 443)
- powerbi.microsoft.com (port 443)
- dc.services.visualstudio.com (port 443)
- login.microsoftonline.com (port 443)
- *.office.com (port 443)
These endpoints must be accessible from either the Metric Insights application server, or the Remote Data Collector host.
If your primary aim is to pull images from Power BI, then the endpoints must be accessible from the Metric Inisghts server. Make sure the endpoints are open and proceed to Step 2 below, then skip to Step 5.
The integration is taking place directly from the application server.
If you wish to get data only (or both data and images), then a Remote Data Collector (RDC) must be deployed. The RDC must be installed on a Windows machine that can access the Power BI endpoints listed above.
The integration is taking place on the RDC host machine.
2. Register an Azure app representing Metric Insights
To create and register an application, please follow the instructions in Register an Azure AD application to use with Power BI. This creates 'trust' between Power BI and Metric Insights required to embed Power BI content.
2.1. Register your app in Azure
- Go to dev.powerbi.com/apps.
- Sign in with your existing account
- Specify the following:
- Application Name identifies your app in Azure
- Application Type must be set to "Native"
- API access determines the level of access for your app (select the options as shown on the image above)
- Click [Register]
- After you register, your Success! message will contain an App ID (that can be copied and stored as needed)
2.2. Access your app in Azure Portal
Having registered your Azure app, access the Azure Portal from https://portal.azure.com/
- Go to Azure Active Directory
- Select App registrations
- Choose your Azure app
2.3. Enable permissions for your Azure app
Make sure to "Grant Permissions" while configuring the App in Azure Portal.
- Go to Settings
- Choose Required Permissions
- Click [Power BI Service] > Permissions List > make sure all the required permissions are selected
- Grant Permissions
3. Install the Remote Data Collector
For steps on how to install the RDC, refer to Configure a Remote Data Collector
4. .NET and Excel adapter must be installed on the RDC host machine
- RDC requires .NET FrameWork v4.5 or higher.
- Microsoft Power BI Datasets can only be fetched by the Metric Insights plugin with the corresponding Excel adapter.
When you select Analyze in Excel from the Ellipses menu (the ...) associated with a dataset or report, Power BI creates an .ODC file and downloads it from the browser to your computer.
Learn more about Analyze in Excel
To download the Excel adapter:
- Go to the Ellipses menu
- Click Analyze in Excel
Install the adapter tool as prompted.
5. Create a Power BI connection profile in Metric Insights
Now that you have completed the prerequisites, you are ready to create a connection profile in Metric Insights.
- Follow the steps in this article to complete the integration: Establish Connectivity to Microsoft Power BI