Establish Connectivity to Tableau Server
This article describes how to connect to the Tableau Server in order to use Tableau reports as data sources in Metric Insights. If your Tableau Server is accessible from your Metric Insights server over the network, this is most likely the best solution. General instructions for establishing a Data Source based on a plug-in can be found here. Specific settings for this approach follow.
Prerequisites to creating a connection with Tableau server are described in this article.
- If Tableau is inaccessible because it is behind a firewall or for some other reason, then you will probably need to Establish Connectivity to Tableau via a Remote Data Collector
- If you are connecting to Tableau Online, then see Establish connectivity to Tableau Online
Note: screens may vary some in earlier versions of Metric Insights.
1. Access Admin > Data Sources
Start by adding a new Data Source.
2. Define "Tableau" as a new data source
- Select Other Data Source Type
- Choose Tableau from the drop-down list
- Move to the Next step
3. Complete the required parameters
- Data Source name: The system creates a default name, but we recommend changing it to a descriptive name of your choice, especially if you plan to create several connection profiles for different sites
- Tableau Server: Provide the URL to your Tableau server
- Site ID: if you have multiple sites, define the one you want to fetch data from. If you leave this field empty, the system connects to default. If you plan to use Metric Insights with multiple Sites on your Tableau server, create a separate Data Source for each site.
- Enter the regular Username and Password for the Service Account you use to log in to the Tableau server
- Test connection to view any errors in Required Parameters section
If necessary, open the sections below to enter Optional Parameters and Advanced Configuration.??
3.1. Add/Change the Optional Tableau Parameters
3.2. Adjust Advanced Configuration information as needed
- For details on using a Remote Data Collector, please see Establish Connectivity to Tableau via a Remote Data Collector
- Metric Insights extracts data from the Tableau server in the form of reports. Information obtained from these external reports is further used as data source for MI elements: Metrics and Reports. Tableau reports can be added in the Plugin Editor:
- Automatically: If the External Reports fetch method field is set to 'automatically', go to the Tableau Reports List tab and simply click Refresh list to collect all Tableau reports currently available at the server.
- Manually: You can also update the Tableau reports list by adding report IDs and Names one-by-one or specified in an CSV file.
4. Additional options now available
Using the other tabs, you can:
- You can update, refresh or manually add Reports to the Reports List (depending on fetch method selected)
- You can create new elements using this Data Source directly from the Elements tab
- You can assign Permissions to Groups or Power Users