Understanding Privileges for Creating Content (prior to Version 5.2.1)
For Creating Content Security for later releases, see Understanding Privileges for Creating Content (Release 5.2.1 and beyond)
In Metric Insights, Release 4.0, an organization's Admin(s) can add or remove one or more of the following Non-Configurable Data Source Privileges from Groups or individual Power Users:
- Create content using CSV Files
- Create content using Existing Metrics
- Create content using Existing Reports
- Create content using Single Report
New Dataset-related Privileges were added in Release 5.0.
- Create/Edit Datasets
- Create Content using Datasets
- Create a Public View
- Allow Power Users to grant Dataset access to any User or Group
Power Users who are members of a Group that has these Privileges inherit them as with any other Privilege or Permission. Power Users may receive any or all of these Privilege via direct assignment on their User Editor.
Instance configuration rules for customers who first install Metric Insights from Release 4.0 and beyond:
- All new Privileges are automatically granted to the Default Group and inherited by Power Users who are added to the Default Group
- No other Groups or Power Users receive these Privileges automatically at configuration or subsequent to installation
Existing Power Users
Existing Power Users who are not assigned to the Default Group must be granted these Privileges individually or be in a Group to which these Privileges have been granted by an Admin.
1. Admin > Users > select existing Power User
On the Group or User Editor's Information Tab:
- Select one or more of the new Privileges
2. Power User creates a new element
Power User creates a new element and sees the following in the Data Source drop-down list:
- Two non-configurable Data Sources automatically granted to all Power Users: Creating an element with data from an "External Process" or using the feature to "Aggregate a Metric"; these cannot be taken away from a Power User
- Any of the new 4.0 Privileges granted to a Power User or inherited from the Group(s) to which the Power User belongs
- The new 5.0 Create Datasets Privilege granted to a Power User or inherited from the Group(s) to which the Power User belongs
- Any configurable Data Source that the Power User has been granted Permission to use in fetching data for a new element or editing an existing element to which the Power User has Edit Access
NOTE: Configurable Data Sources are SQL or Plug-in based and defined by a customer Admin using the associated Data Source Editor. Non-Configurable Data Sources are the six shown below the dotted line in the image above, and require no customer action to initiate....they are delivered with Metric Insights.
3. Effects of Granting Category Edit Access to Power Users
Power Users will automatically receive access to configurable Data Sources and Datasets used by elements in the assigned Category.
There is no automatic assignment of any of the 4.0 Privileges upon granting of Category or element Edit Access to an individual Power User...so if there are elements sourced from Manual/CSV, Existing Metrics, Existing Reports, a Single Existing Report, the Power User does not get the Privilege automatically in the same manner as use of Configurable Data Sources used in the Category. As a result, Edit Access to these elements is not effected until the associated Privilege is granted.
Version 5.0 Category restrictions are explained here.