Applying Filters in Dataset Reports
There are two types of Filters available in the Content tab of the Report Editor. These Filters limit the data that is displayed when viewing the Report online or in Notifications such as Bursts or Digests:
- Report Filters apply to all of the Report's elements (Tables, Charts, and linked External Visualizations). These appear as drop-downs that can be adjusted by the Viewer, much like Dimension drop-downs in older versions of Metric Insights.
- Table Filters apply to a single Table or Chart, are fixed, and can only be modified in the Report Editor.
An Overview of Dataset Report features is available here Dataset Reports Overview
Access Filters via the Report Editor's Content tab
1. Create Filters applicable to entire Report (Report Filters)
Top Image - Report built from Snapshot Datasets
- A Date Filter is created automatically for all Snapshot Reports
- To add other Report level Filter(s) select the Edit Filters on far right
Lower Image - Report build with dates already present in data
- Click to add Filters link
Report Filters Editor will slide out from the right
1.1. Simply drag-and-drop to select Columns for Filtering
- Position Filter display either Right, Left, or Center
- To select Filters, simply drag fields from Columns section to the Filters section
1.2. Edit each Filter using the edit gear (or accept Default values)
1.3. Editor for filter fields displays varies based on field characteristics
On this slide-out form, you can
- You can add a Label (optional), select Filter, and the Sort criteria from the drop-downs
- Click Done to return to Report Filter Editor
1.4. Table will now be viewed based on your Filter choices in both the Editor and the Viewer.
Note that the Channel and Country Filters were manipulated in the Viewer example.
1.5. Example of a Filter slide-out of a Dimensioned Report with snapshot data
Note following differences:
- Snapshot Date does not appear in the Report Filters at all
- The Dimension (Product Category) appears in Report Filters in list of Dimensions (not available for editing)
- Country was added as a Report Filters and can be edited
2. Apply Filters to a single Object in the Report
- Click Filter icon for selected Table to open field for input
- Rules and Grouping section opens - this section functions just like the Alert Editor Rules section
- Add a Rule You can add as many Groupings and Rules as you need
3. Example of filtering for High Values Sales
3.1. How to remove Filter display or actually remove the Filter Rules
- Clicking the 'X' will hide the Filter information, but filtering will still be applied
- You can expose the Filter for modification by again clicking on the Filter Table icon
- Rules and Groups can be removed via the associated trashcan icons
4. Example showing how the two filters work on other elements in Report
Note that both the Table and the Pie Chart are displaying only data for the selected countries of Canada and France due to the Report Filter.
The Table is further restricted by the Table filter (Sales > $25k) while the Chart displays Total Sales for each country.