Create a Report from a Dataset View (prior to 5.1 release)
Datasets offer a quick and highly automated way of building new Reports. This article describes the step-by-step process of creating a Report from a specific Dataset View.
Due to extensive enhancements, the new Dataset Reports (versions after 5.1) are expanded and can be referenced in this chapter: Dataset Reports - new in 5.3
1. Open a Public Dataset View
- Open the Dataset View to be the source of the Report
- At the top right corner of the page, click the Actions menu
- Select the Build Report option.
- If this Dataset View is Private, the system will offer to automatically make it Public and accessible to other users.
You are redirected to the Report Editor.
2. [Info tab] Define the basics
- Report Type: Choose the type of Report is to be contented. Change Reports provide the ability to effectively analyze trends in data over a period of time. For more details refer to: Create a Change Report
- Name: is populated automatically with the name of the Dataset View. You can change it to a unique and descriptive name of your choice.
- Category: helps organizing tiles at the Homepage. You can grant access to elements through Categories. For more details refer to: Create a Category
- Certified: this setting serves to identify elements that have been approved as being valid and accurate. For more details refer to: Certifying an Element
- Topics/Tags: relate elements to each other. For more details refer to: Create a Topic
Move to the Data tab.
3. [Data tab] Check Data Collection Configuration
All the fields defining the Data Collection process are populated automatically based on the associated Dataset View.
- Data Source: in this example a Dataset serves as a Data Source
- Expire cached data:
- Expire on start of: Set the trigger which is going to initiate updating information in a Reports
- Dataset & View: Select the combination of a Dataset and its View from the drop-down list
- Review the Sample result set.
- Once you confirm that the Sample result set contains the expected data, click Enable and Publish at the top right corner of the screen.
Report Display options
Optionally, the Report display can be customized using the following options:
- Modify the Display Name of the column header
- Select to have values appear as Currency
- Format numeric value display
- Enter a Description that will be displayed on hover of the column
- Select the columns to appear in the Results
- Choose to have Totals displayed for numeric data
- Modify the display order of the columns
- Add a custom formatted field to the report if needed
- Select whether or not the Report should be saved as a Snapshot (see What is a Snapshot Report)
- Select the date-time value to be used as the effective date value for the Report.
- This value is only applicable to reports with saved historical instance.
- New Time Command values may be added from drop-down as needed
If you want the complete result set shown in the report (without pivoting the data), set Save as system table to 'Yes'
If you want to have a charting interval drop-down in your report ('Last 6 Months', 'Last Year', etc...), specify the date column that should be used to drive this control in Include date filter based on from the available choices in the drop-down