Creating an Announcement on Homepage or Element Viewers
New in Release 5.4, the Homepage Messaging has been replaced by Announcements that offer the following new features:
- display multiple Announcements
- display on the Homepage, or specified element Viewers, or both
- set beginning and ending times for the Announcement to display (optional)
- allow Users to dismiss the Announcement after viewing (optional)
- allow Power Users (PUs) to be given Permission to create / modify Announcements on elements they have View access to
- allow PUs to display their Announcements on the Homepage
- limit display to Groups
Announcements are designed to be used to inform Metric Insights users of any news, changes or instructions essential for the seamless company operation,
This article covers the process of creating an Announcement and its resulting look.
Power Users will need to be granted new Announcement-specific Permissions - see Security Overview (Release 5.3.0 and beyond). Regular Users may only view the list of Announcements, not the Announcement editor.
1. Access Content > Announcements
The list of existing Announcements displays:
- You can edit any Announcement listed (based on Security settings) by clicking on the Subject name
- To create a new one, select [+New Announcement]
Power Users may only edit or delete the Announcements that they have created.
2. Configure Announcement
- Set Announcement is to "enabled"
- If you select to Show on "Element Viewers", an Elements tab will appear to allow you to select elements or groups of elements to display the Announcement
- Subject will be displayed on Announcement list, but not on actual Announcement
- You can limit by Groups, which Users will see the Announcement - will be set in the Groups tab
- (Optional) You can set how long and during what interval the Announcement should be displayed
- (Optional) If Allow user to dismiss is checked(on), each User may choose to remove the Announcement from his view of Homepage and elements
- Create your message in the text field: you can play with colors, size, and formatting as well as add a link to more information
- Set Border color using the standard color chart
Do not forget to Save your settings.
2.1. Element tab settings
If you choose to Show on "Selected Elements", the following sections will display:
- You can add Elements based on their Category, Assigned Folder, Data Source or any combination of those. In this example, we are only going to display the message for those elements using the Dashboard database.
- You can assign elements individually using a picklist
- The Comprehensive Element list will be populated based on your choices in #1 & #2
2.2. Group tab settings
Simply [+ Assign Groups] to add display of Announcement to Users based on their Group Membership(s).
3. Sample Announcement on Homepage and Element Viewers
- Announcement displays both on the Homepage and and on selected Element Viewers
- Edit or Dismiss (X) icon are displayed based on Announcement settings and User Security
Dismissing the Announcement from either location will remove it from all element Viewers as well as the Homepage.