Managed Alerts Overview
Sometimes, in addition to receiving Notifications about significant data changes, Users may find it necessary to record all their corrective actions.
With Managed Alerting, it is possible to track how data changes are acted upon. First, a Workflow is added to an existing Alerting process. Then Users receive Notifications and act, based on their assigned Roles. The progress towards resolution is recorded as it occurs.
Below is a general overview of the core functionality and the description of the basic steps needed to create Managed Alerts.
The entire process comprises the following stages:
- Create an Alert Rule
- Create a Workflow
- Assign Users to Workflow Roles
- Receive Notifications when the Alert is triggered
- Record actions on the Alert, taken according to User Roles
Beginning in Release 6.1.1, Power Users can create and. maintain Managed Alert Workflows if they have the related Privileges. See Alert Workflow Security.
Metric Viewer > Alert icon > Alert Rules
- To define a new Alert or access an existing Alert, click the Alert icon to open the Alert Rules.
Alternatively, Users can apply a new Workflow to an existing Alert Rule: Apply a Workflow to a KPI Alert Rule
1. Create a new Alert Rule
Follow the steps 1-3 in the Alert Wizard to define type, criteria and content for your Alert.
For more details, see: [KPI Alert Rules] Wizard, types, criteria, user subscriptions
2. Create or assign an Alert Workflow
On Step 4 (Notification) in Alert Wizard, you have an option to create or assign an Alert Workflow:
- Click the [+] icon to create a new Workflow (optionally you could use the drop-down to select an existing Workflow).
- [Save & Assign Roles] to proceed.
- Input a meaningful Name for your Workflow
- Note the default Statuses of your Workflow and the States they indicate
- Note the default Settings and Workflow Roles
3. Assign Workflow Roles to Users
You can assign Subscriptions via:
- User Map. For more details refer to: Create a User Map
- Groups. Refer to: Create/Maintain Groups and Assign Privileges
- Individually, by checking Users from the list
To return to Metric Viewer, click the Metric's name next to the Homepage icon.
You can change the Role by clicking the Edit (Gear) icon on User row.
Learn details at Apply a Workflow to a KPI Alert Rule
4. When an Alert is triggered, the Workflow process begins
When the Workflow begins, the Alert Status and Assignee will be displayed in your Viewer
4.1. Users receive Alert Notifications based on their assigned Roles
- Assignee is notified that the Alert needs to be acknowledged
- Users receive Notifications based on their Roles in the Workflow. In this example:
- 2 Users will receive Notification in their daily Digest
- 2 Users will be notified immediately
5. Assignee acknowledges the Alert
6. Alert Status and History are displayed in the Viewer
- Subscribers can view all changes under Alert History.
- Alert Status and Roles can be modified via Update Status.
7. Alert Inbox
In the Alert Inbox you can:
- check the activity on your Alerts
- [optionally] change the Alert Settings which are tied to the Workflow
- add comments to Alerts
- To update a single Alert, click any of the Managed Alert Settings (Status, Priority or Assignee)
- To bulk update multiple Alerts, check the corresponding boxes in the grid and click [Update]
- If an Alert is marked with [!] sign, it means that you are an Assignee and you have to acknowledge it
You cannot bulk update Managed Alerts and Regular Alerts at the same time.