Dataset Reports Overview
As of Release 5.3, Metric Insights offers new dynamic Reporting capabilities, with the release of 5.5, that functionality has been expanded. Dataset Reports are now in feature parity with Legacy Reports.
This article gives a brief overview of the range of expanded Reporting options available in Release 5.5.
- Ways to create a Dataset Report
- Update optional data on Info tab
- Elements of Data tab
- Basics of Report Content tab
- Apply Report Filters
- Table Formatting options
- Apply Column Aggregation
- Apply Conditional Formatting
- Create a Pivot table
- Create Various Charting Displays
- Create Banners - Text Displays
- Add External Visualizations and easily apply Hyperlinks
- Manually apply Hyperlinks
- Add attachments such as PDFs and Spreadsheets
- Subscribe to Report Notification or Schedule a Burst
- An Existing Dataset or you can Create a Dataset
1.1. Directly from the Dataset Editor
(New in 5.5) Simply select the [Build Report] icon from the Data tab of the Dataset Editor. This option will use the 'All Data' View by default.
1.2. From any Dataview (Actions > Build Report)
1.3. Access via New > Reports > Dataset Reports
1.3.1. Define the Basics
Select Next: define details to open Full Report Editor
- [6.1.0] As of Release 6.1.0, it is possible to flag elements and then Migrate Content using our Export/Import Migration Scripts. Click for details: Scripted Migration via Category and Element Editors
- The Description field defaults from the Name, but if this is not sufficiently descriptive, you may change it
- Certified: Certification is a means for Admin and Power Users to identify elements that have been approved as being valid and accurate. For details refer to: Certifying an Element
- Tags (are referred to as Topics in Versions prior to 5.1): Tags / Topics are used to relate elements to each other for purposes of identifying similar Charts when the See Related drop-down list in the Metric Viewer is populated allowing a more in-depth analysis of trends. For details refer to: Create a Topic / Tag
- From the drop-down, select Dataset & View
- Click [Show Data] This will also validate the report.
- [Save & View] or just [Save]
Your Report is now ready to view, but you will probably want to apply some of the Report Formatting option available in the Report Content tab.
- A full Report Table will be set up with the formatting applied in your Dataset (if any). Selecting Edit for any object will produce a slide-out Editor.
- Additional Objects are created using drag-and-drop to move the icons into the 'Drop Components Here' area
- Tables or Pivot tables product separate Editors
- Text allows free-form 'banner' sections to be displayed / External Visualizations are easily added to the Report
- A variety of pre-formatted Charts are also available
- The up-down icon allows you to move the various items within the Report
4.1. Example of drag-and-drop for a Range Chart
The corresponding Editor will slide out from the right based on icon selected.
4.2. Select object to display on Report tile
- Specify which Chart or Table will appear on the Homepage tile by activating the Show on Tile option. Only one object will be allowed, any other checkbox will be de-selected.
- Report Filters work much like the Dimension filters but allow greater diversity. These drop-downs apply to all elements of the report and can be adjusted by anyone viewing the Report.
- Table (or Chart) Filters are defined by the Report creator, apply only to one object, and cannot be manipulated by Users.
For more details see Applying Filters in Dataset Reports
The Table Editor will slide out for your input. The options for formatting a Table are many! To highlight a few:
- Select a font for this Table
- Format the Header - in this example we have chosen to display the Header in red
- Drag-and-drop to order the Table ( Section and Grouping option explained below) or use the Sort Order option below the Columns section
- Select options for individual fields (see below) by using the Edit icon
- Apply Rules for Formatting based on specified conditions. The Conditional Formatting can also be applied at the field level via the corresponding edit icon, but all conditions will display on the Table Editor
- Check Grand Totals to your data and optionally relabel this field
[Apply] to view changes in the Table
Sections and Grouping provide an easy way to customize your Table for easy viewing.
Sections provide the ability to specify an external break column (sections) for a report grid so that tables can be shown one per value of the column.
Grouping provides the ability to specify that a column should group values. When set, the column values that are repeated are instead shown as a blank.
Example with data collected by Channel, Country, and Category - native Table:
6.2.1. Apply Sections and Grouping via drag-and-drop
To apply External break on Country, and Group by Channel then Category:
- Check the Sections and Grouping boxes to open the corresponding input areas
- Drag the Country field from the Columns section into Sections area
- Drag both Channel and Category from the Columns section into Grouping area
- The example below also applied basic color formatting by editing separately each of the three fields
A full description of this process is available in Using Sections and Groups in Dataset Report Tables
6.3. Via the Column Drop-downs
To edit individual Columns, open the drop-down next to the Column name. You can easily Sort or Hide the column, apply Text and Fill color, etc. Or you can Edit Column to slide the full Column Editor.
6.4. Add Rich Text blocks
Users can now add blocks of text to your Dataset Reports to make them even more informative and compelling.
To use this option, drag the Text tile to the Report Canvas and add the required text information.
The following formatting functionality is supported:
- Undo/redo (change history)
- Bold, Italic, text alignment (left, center, right)
- Font color, background color
- Font family
- Font size
- [5.5.1] Tables
- [5.5.1] Ordered and Unordered lists
- [5.5.1] Source code (HTML) viewing and editing (Variables)
For more details on Text Blocks, see Working with Text Blocks
In earlier versions of Dataset Reports, if you wanted to Aggregate values in your Report, you needed to create a new Dataset View with required Field Aggregations and then create a new Report from this.
In 5.5 you can perform this in the Report Editor for multiple Tables simply by setting the Aggregation method at the Table column level. See how here Aggregation of numeric values.
Conditional Formatting allows you to set Rules and Conditions that can highlight when specific conditions occur in your data (aka Anomalies!)
8.1. Edit table
Select [+ Rule] under Conditional Formatting to display the options available
You can choice to compare and format any of your data fields; the options available will differ for text, date, and numeric fields as a couple of examples below illustrate.
8.2. Example - comparing a field to a value
- Select any of the data columns from the drop-down
- Select both the condition, and either value or another data column. Your options in the drop-downs will vary based on both the Data and Condition chosen.
- Select Format options: text or background color, bold, italic, or any combination of these by clicking on the icons
- Select if you want to apply the formatting to a single value or Entire Row
8.3. Comparing a numeric field to another numeric field
8.4. All Conditions are expressed in plain language on the Report Editor
- [Apply] to produce the Report layout viewed on the left.
- Rules can be edited or deleted via icons viewed here.
Pivot Tables function much like other Tables in the Report Editor, but provide fewer options, especially when applying Conditional formatting as this can only be done at the Column level.
For more details see Pivot Tables in Dataset Reports
- Specify the Pivot's Name
- Determine Row Values
- Determine Column Values
- Specify Measure that will be used to calculate values
- Optionally, specify if you want to include Grand Totals for Columns and Rows and if so, determine their formatting
Users can now add blocks of text to your Dataset Reports to make them even more informative and compelling. To use this option, drag the Text tile to the Report Canvas and add the required text information.
Some options are:
- Formatted Text
- Bullet and numbered lists
More details on using Text Blocks can be found here.
12.1. Drag & Drop External Visualizations to expose the Editor
12.2. Chose your External Visualization and Click "Link Visualization to Data Table"
- From the drop-down, choose External Report Visualization with which your Dataset Report will interact.
- Optionally, create a Title.
"Link Visualization to Data Table" to link Column Values to a Visualization.
- In the Dataset Report Editor, when you click such a link, the Visualization will open on an external webpage.
- In the Dataset Report Viewer, when you click the table link, the Visualization will open in the Viewer.
- Map Report Columns to Filters. Clicking [+Add] allows mapping more Report columns to External Filter values.
- If you select "Combine values for each filter", the same Visualization will be displayed for All Filter Values. If this box is clear, you can select the number of instances to display in Viewer and in an email. Options for Maximum number of instances to display will appear in both Show in Viewer and Show in Email
- Optionally, select to Show in Viewer. You can specify:
- the Height of Visualization
- the Maximum number of Instances
- Optionally, select to Show in Email. You can define:
- whether clicking the image in an email will open your Dataset Report or External web page
- the Maximum number of instances
12.3. Result of Hyperlinks for an External Visualization
When you click a link in the Table, the Visualization will display data filtered for the chosen option(s)
If you have chosen to include any Attachments to your report, you must specify the format in the Report Distribution tab.
Note: This setting will apply to all Charts and Tables electing to include attachments.
- Select Notification icon in the far right side of Viewer
- Check box to receive this Report Daily
- Optionally, send this Report in a Burst
For more information, refer to Report Notifications] Subscription Options, Settings available