Create New Burst
Bursts can be set up and managed using a single, consolidated editor. Users can select an arbitrary set of Elements (Reports, Metrics, etc), designate an arbitrary set of recipients, and schedule delivery based on a user-defined schedule, all through a single editor.
Note: Other versions of these screens may appear slightly different or have more or fewer options available. Screenshots below are of Version 5.2.1. For earlier versions see Create a new Burst (prior to Version 5.1.2)
New in 5.6: Extended Bursting functionality enables large-scale External Report distribution. Applying a User Map (with the appropriate mapping of Users to Filters) allows a single Burst to be the source for hundreds (or thousands) of User-specific emails. This means that each User (or Group) will receive targeted content based on their needs. See how to apply these new filters in the Setting Filter Defaults on Burst Editor section of Pre-filtering BI tools (External Reports).
1. Access New > Burst
Three options are available for adding content to a Burst:
- One or more Favorite Folders including all elements contained in them
- Specific Tiles
- [5.2.1 version] Folders including all elements contained
For more information on Bursting with Folders, see Understanding Folders
1.1. Content: Favorite Folders
Select your content by adding elements from your Favorites folders:
- We recommend providing a meaningful Name to your Burst since it is going to be used as an email header once notifications are sent.
- Content: As this is an example for favorite folders, select the corresponding option. The example for "Selected Tiles" and "Shared Folders" are shown in the steps below.
- Send folders as: define whether each of the favorite folders that you are going to include in this Burst should be sent in individual emails or all of them should be sent as one large email.
- Click [+ New Folders] and in the opened pop-up choose which of the folders are supposed to be included into the Burst.
Once done with selection, click [+ Add selected].
Elements that are actually seen in each Burst email are subject to the Security Rules for each recipient
- We recommend providing a meaningful Name to your Burst, since it is going to be used as an email header once notifications are sent.
- If you choose to add specific tiles into the Burst email, click [ + Add tiles] and in the opened pop-up choose which of the elements are supposed to be included into the Burst.
NOTE: You can filter the list of tiles by entering keywords into the Search field or selecting a specific Folder (or Category) at the top of the Select Tiles pop-up.
Once done with selection, click [+ Add selected].
2. Your selections will be displayed in the list below
- You can delete selections that may have been added erroneously. To do so, click the Trashcan icon in the respective row.
- Click [+ Add tiles] to include more elements
- Schedule: Choose one of the existing Schedule options from the drop-down. Alternatively, you can create your own schedule using the [+] Plus button in the same field. For more instructions on Schedules refer to Creating a new schedule (non-Admin user)
- Burst are generally sent via Email, but newer versions allow the Burst to be sent also to an SMS address, FTP file, or a Shared Drive. For these new options, see Delivering a Burst via SMS or
3. Define Subscriptions by Groups or individual Users
- Group Subscriptions: You may add Groups of users to the distribution list. A group can be created at Admin > Groups.
- Send to Burst Owner: Check if you want to send the burst to yourself.
- Subscribed users: To add users one by one, choose them in this list. You can use a Search field at the upper right corner above the table to find Users by Name or email.
New in 5.5.1, Burst subscriptions can also be controlled by applying a User Map. For instructions on creating a User Map see Create a User Map.
If your Subscriptions tab defaults to 'Subscribe everyone who has xx on Homepage:
- Set the 'Subscribe everyone' toggle to Off - (wording on this option may be slightly different based on how you selected the content for your Burst)
- [Save] to view all options for assigning subscriptions
- Toggle the 'Set via User Map' to ON
- Select User Map from those available to you via the drop-down
- Users Subscribed grid will populate with contents from User Map
For details on how the User Map drop-down is populated, see Security chapter on Datasets
4. Customize tab: use advanced Burst settings
Email Template: a default Burst's email template is "Burst - Any Image Size"; it was designed as a standard and flexible solution. You are free to add your custom template to a Burst by:
- First, adding it to Admin > Email Templates;
- Secondly, choosing it from this drop-down list.
- Email Subject Line: In previous versions, Burst's name also serves as an email Subject. In versions after 5.1.1 you got more freedom to construct the email in the following format:
Name OR Username + Today OR Yesterday
- Custom header / Custom Footer: You can choose to include arbitrary text into custom fields and have that shown up as a header, footer, or both in the Burst email as shown in the picture above.
- Include PPT document: choose whether an attachment with a PowerPoint Presentation should be added to an email.
- Optional, create a new PPT template:
5. Enable your Burst
- At the upper right corner of the screen click Save & Enable.
- Optionally, you can request to [Send now] - see Step 5.1
Once enabled, the Report Burst will run on the schedule you set up.
Note that in 5.2.1 and later a Run History section is available for Bursts.
5.1. Optional - test Burst for yourself or other Users
- [5.6.1] This new options allows you to setup Bursts for others and then verify exactly what these Users will receive. Open the Burst for dropdown and select a Subscriber other than yourself. You will receive the Burst immediately, tailored for the selected Viewer - the system will apply any Usermaps, Security privileges and permissions, as well as any Bookmarks set for that User. Note that the default is to send Burst based on your personal settings.