Create a Dimension with values sourced from a Dataset (Versions prior to 5.0)
This article outlines the process used to create a Dimension whose values are populated automatically from the Dataset.
For newer Versions, please refer to: Create a Dimension with values sourced from a Dataset View (Version 5.0.5)
In the Dataset choose the column that contains the required Dimension Values
Open the Dataset that is going to serve as a source for a future Dimension and find a column that contains the values that should be fetched as Dimension Values. Remember the name of this column, since further you are to specify it while creating a Dimension.
1. Access Content > Dimension
The list of Dimensions previously created in the system opens.
At the bottom of the page click [+ New Dimension].
2. Provide key information for fetching Dimension Values
Provide the basic Dimension definition information, paying close attention to:
- Name: should be unique and descriptive
- Value Source: since we are creating a Dimension sourced from a Dataset, choose 'Datasets' from the drop-down list.
- Dataset & View: Choose the name of the Dataset or its particular View to be used as a Data Source for this Dimension. To quickly preview Dataset's columns, click an Eye icon to the right of this field.
- Key Value Column: Choose the name of the Dataset column that contains the required values. The column content type (numeric or text) is going to be specified in the round brackets next to the column name.
- Display Value Column: Choose a Dataset column with Display Values (often the same as above).
Save this basic information to proceed with creating a Dimension. The Dimension Editor opens.
3. Collect Values
- After you set up Dataset & View, Key Value Column, Display Value Column fields, click Check Data
- The system displays Sample dimension values below.
- If the sample dimension values shown are as expected, click Collect values