Create a Dimension with a Child Dimension as its Parent
An existing Child Dimension may be designated as the Parent for a new Dimension.
NOTE: If you grant a User access to a Dimension that has children, grandchildren or other generations, the user receives cascading access to all of the Dimension's descendants in the Family tree.
An example of a Parent/Child Dimension
This example demonstrates a Parent/Child Dimension with 'Car Models' being a Child Dimension.
- At the top right corner of the screen click the Plus (+) button to add a new Dimension
1. Define the new Dimension
- Name the new Dimension
- Choose a Parent Dimension that serves as a Child Dimension in another example. (In our case it is 'Car Models' from the example above)
- Set Include "Total" Dimension Value to "Yes" (since the Parent also has a Total)
When settings are complete, Save the new Dimension. A new Dimension Editor opens.
2. Add Dimension Values
Scroll down to the bottom of the page, find the Dimension Values section and click [+ New Dimension Value].
The Add Dimension Value pop-up opens.
2.1. Define Dimension Values
- Choose a Parent Dimension Value from the drop-down list (in our example: 'Car Model')
- Enter a unique Key Value
- Enter a Display Value (this will default to the Key value)
Save your entries.
Repeat this process until all desired Dimension Values are entered.
Alternatively, Dimension Values can be collected automatically. For more details refer to: Create a Child Dimension with Values Collected Automatically
- Create an element dimensioned by the Child Dimension. Open the Element's Chart or Report Dimensioned by the new Dimension
- Notice that the Parent Dimension drop-box includes a 'Car Models Total'
- Check Child Dimension Values. Notice that the Child Dimension drop-box includes a Total for the Car Model