Collecting Dimension Values from Metric and Report Data
Metric Insights can automatically create new Dimension Values by simply taking them from your Metric and Report Data as it is collected.
If your Metric and Report data include any Dimension Values that are not already listed in the Dimension Editor, they will be added to the list. You do not need to specify a Metric or Report -- Metric Insights will collect Dimension Values from all Metrics and Reports when they are updated.
1. Access Content > Dimensions
At the bottom of the page click [+ New Dimension].
2. Define the basics for the new Dimension
- Value Source: Set this field to 'Metric and Report Data'
- Bind parameter: Setting this to match the column name for the data in the source system makes writing fetch commands for Dimensioned element easier
- Include "Total" Dimension Value: Specify whether you want to include a total that accumulates all data for each Measurement Time.
- Save to proceed with creating a new Dimension
The Dimension Editor opens.
NOTE: The 'Dimension Values' table in the Editor will be empty or contain only the 'Total' value
As this is a new dimension, it has no dimension values except for Total per the settings set above.
3. Create Metric or Report using this Dimension
4. Collect or Update data for your Metric
5. Dimension is automatically populated with Dimension Values
- Return to the Dimension Editor of the Dimension you have created in Step 1.
- Note that new Dimension Values have been added to the table automatically.