Why and How Does Metric Insights Connect to Data Sources?
Metric Insights provides a single portal into data, automatically uncovers anomalies, and notifies users of significant changes. This data can be fetched from:
- Third-party tools via Plugins; e.g., Tableau, Power BI, Qlik Sense
- SQL-based data sources via JDBC drivers; e.g., Athena, Snowflake, SQL Server
- A CSV file (in a form of Datasets) uploaded manually
Plugins work by leveraging the API of the tool from which you want to collect data. To be able to connect to the tool, certain parameters; e.g., hostname, server URL, username, password, that must be provided by the user and defined in Metric Insights. Some Plugins use OAuth/SSO. Once connected and authenticated, a Plugin can execute the specified job, for example:
- Obtaining a list of objects
- Fetching data
- Collecting filters and images
The complete list of supported Plugins and their capabilities can be found here.
JDBC drivers allow connecting to SQL databases, including: MS SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Snowflake. This connection also requires specifying certain parameters such as service credentials, hostname, database name. Refer to this chapter for more information on JDBC drivers.