Create Dimension with Values Сollected from Tableau
Connectivity to Tableau:
[Release 6.x]: 'Remote Data Collector' renamed to 'Remote Data Processor'
If your Tableau report contains information for several Dimensions, you do not need to create a separate element for each Tableau Dimension in Metric Insights.
All you need to do is just copy Tableau Dimensions into MI. This article covers step-by-step instructions on fetching this data from Tableau.
NOTE: If a new dimension is added to this Tableau report later, it will be automatically copied to MI upon triggered data collection.
Access Admin > Collection & Storage > Data Sources
Select the plugin you plan to use as a Data Source for the future Dimension
Update the List of Tableau Reports
Metric Insights extracts data from the Tableau server in the form of reports. Information obtained from these external reports is further used as data source for MI elements: Metrics and Reports. Tableau reports can be added in the Plugin Editor. There are two options to add reports to the plugin:
- Automatically: Go to the Tableau Reports List tab and [Refresh list] to collect all Tableau reports currently available at the server
- Manually: Update the Tableau Reports List by adding report IDs and Names one-by-one or via a CSV file
Access Content > Dimensions
- The list with all dimensions created in the system opens.
- [+ New Dimension]
Define the Basics
- Name your Dimension
- Specify how Dimension Values will be collected for the new Dimension. In this example, we are selecting the 'Tableau' plugin where we have updated the list of available Reports. This connection profile will help us to extract the needed values from Tableau.
- Define the Tableau Report to be used for creating Dimension Values in MI. Tableau plugin uses 2-level object hierarchy: [Tableau Workbook name]/ [Tableau Worksheet name]
- Specify a Bind Parameter name for your new Dimension. Setting this to match the column name for the data in the source system makes writing fetch commands for dimensioned element easier
The Dimension Editor opens.
Create Your Fetch Command
1. You can enter the command manually
2. Use a Visual Editor and choose the required fields