Add a "Total" or "Subtotal" to a Simple Dimension
This functionality is available for dimensioned:
- Metrics in any system version
- Reports sourced from Datasets in version 5.1.2 and beyond
For a given Dimension, a Total that accumulates all data for each Measurement Time can be added. For Dimensioned Metrics and Reports, this results in a "Total" tile at the Homepage and a "Total" View in the generated in the Metric / Report Viewer.
At a Dimensioned Metric level, you can exclude the display of the total tile and chart if it does not "make sense" for a specific Metric.
This article covers the following topics:
1. Switch on the "Total" for a Dimension
To switch on the "Total" for a Dimension:
- Access the Dimension Editor > Info tab
- Set Include "total" Dimension Value to 'yes'
The "Total" Value is added to Metrics that use this Dimension (in any system Version) and Reports (in version 5.1.2 and beyond).
2. Configuring the display of a "Total" Dimension Value
The "Total" Dimension Value is shown in two places:
- on a Report / Metric Viewer
- on a Homepage as a separate tile (optional)
Both options are described below.
Display on a Report / Metric Viewer
To set up the display of a "Total" Value on a Report / Metric Viewer:
- Navigate to the Dimension Editor > Advanced tab
- Place "total" Dimension Value: Specify the position of the Dimension value aggregating total results: either "last" or "first"
Save your changes
On the example above. the Dimension Total is displayed last.
Display on a Homepage
To specify whether the Total tile should be displayed at the Homepage:
- Open the Dimension Editor > Info tab
- In the Dimension Value table, find the "Total" entry
- Click the Gear icon and specify if the "Total" for a Dimensioned Metric or Report is to be shown as a separate tile on a Homepage
3. Report sourced from a Dataset: "Total" Dimension Value and additional settings
This option is available to Reports sourced from Datasets only and the "Total" Dimension value must set at the Dimension level.
Since the "Total" Dimension value is switched on and off on a Dimension level, there is the ability to set configure its behavior for each Report individually by the following actions:
- Access Report Editor > Advanced tab
- In the For Totals field, choose one of the options:
- "Do not generate a report": "total" aggregation is not show in neither the Report Viewers nor on the Homepage
- "Show rows for individual values": displays all rows for all Dimensions
- "Aggregate numeric values for all values": aggregates all numeric amounts - works like current "total" aggregation
4. Adding a Subtotal Dimension value
Сustom Subtotal Dimension Value aggregating the data of several selected Dimension Values can be created within a Dimension.
NOTE: The Subtotal Dimension Value can be added only if the 'total' Dimension Value has been already created for this Dimension.
In our example, instead of reviewing daily sales data for all countries (Dimension Values) within a 'Country' Dimension, a customer may create a Dimension Value that aggregates the data of those countries which are a part of European Union:
- Click [+ New Dimension Value]
- The Add Dimension Value pop-up opens
- Define this Dimension value as "Aggregate"
- Provide the dimension value with a descriptive Name
- Specify whether this aggregate Metric should be shown as a separate tile at the Homepage
Save your entry.
4.1. Specify Dimension Values that should be included
- Click Add Content
- The Add Content to Custom Total pop-up opens
- Check the boxes for Dimension Values whose data should be aggregated for a new common value
- Click Add Selected