Create a Dimension with Manually Entered Values
Creating a Dimensioned element allows you to use one Metric or Report to generate separate visualizations of your organization's individual divisions, subsidiaries or other dimensions.
In order to create an Element that has dimensions, you must have established at least one Dimension that is populated with its Dimension Values. For example, your organization may do business in five countries, so a "Country" Dimension with a Dimension Value for each Country (United States, France, China, Canada, Mexico).
Determine if you are going to enter Dimension Values manually or fetch them from a data source (for example, using SQL):
- For manually-maintained Dimensions with a limited number of Dimension Values, the easiest way is to create a new value is to use the Add Dimension Value data entry form. If you are going to enter Dimension Values manually then follow the steps in this article
- If your Dimension Values are maintained in a source system, consider automated data collection. See Create a Dimension with Automatically Populated Values
- If you have a large number of manually-maintained Dimension Values, Upload Dimension Values from a csv File
1. Access Content > Dimensions > [+ New Dimension]
2. Specify Basic Dimension Information
In defining the new Dimension:
- Name: should be unique and descriptive
- Parent Dimension: For more information on Parent/Child Dimensions, refer to Parent/Child Dimensions
- Dimension Key Values are: specify whether numeric or text
- Value Source: Identify how you want to collect Dimension Values for your new Dimension. For this example, retain the default "Manual/CSV Data" since this approach is the topic of this lesson.
- Save this basic information to proceed with creating a Dimension.
The Dimension Editor opens.
3. Page down to Dimension Values section
Click [+ New Dimension Value]